Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

11.03.2009

Bright Star Inspired Gift Wrap




Not sure if Bright Star is still playing in Atlanta but I may need to see it one more time to go over those visual elements again. The refined pleats on Fanny's dresses (that triple-pleat mushroom collar being her ne plus ultra) and the way her homemade-but-luxe clothes stood out against an understated, sometimes humble backdrop, are the details a lot of us responded to. So, thinking about holiday gift wrap that could be loosely inspired by the film, I'm starting to zone in on very plain paper (probably kraft) paired with lavishly pleated velvet or taffeta ribbon from M & J.

The ribbon examples shown above are muted greens but M & J offers a wide range of colors. An optional touch: handmade butterfly or star shaped gift tag.



Paper star via Jane Campion's production scrapbook.

Movie images © Bright Star, Apparition 2009.

Update: 9:11 p.m.
Stopped by Anthropologie at Lenox Square, Atlanta, to see unpacking of holiday ornaments and new seasonal items including boxes of the enormous leather scrapbooks. The picture above shows the album in its decorative gift box. Deep pink and rich blue options were in stock when I left.

11 comments:

pve design said...

lovely and heartfelt wrap, even a simple poem or a candle wrapped like that would be a bright star!
pve

Ideezine said...

This year is definitely the year we need special touches of luxe. Through wonders of creativity made with artistic flair, the ribbon and wrap ideas will really add some excitment to this holiday!

Bette

Style Court said...

PVE and Bette -- I hope you are right. The pleated ribbon is pricey but I'm brainstorming ways to use it sparingly -- still want magical packages though -- and of course kraft paper is economical. So it will definitely be high/low.

Laura Casey Interiors said...

What great ideas! Love MJ, miss it! I want to see Bright Star as well.

little augury said...

I love your ideas. Kraft paper always does something wonderful with lux ribbon. The folded star tag is the perfect thing. I did kraft with wide brown velvet ribbon-that ribbon is still around in bits. On the ribbon- try facing the two straight edges back to back and just wrap the two around once. I loved that scrap book- I had to go online and take a look, there were some great books! Which color did you like best? I am partial to blue-but the red in your post was more than tempting. G

Style Court said...

LA -- Thanks for the ribbon tip and I'm crazy about brown velvet.

The blue is akin to a royal, slightly colbalt from the glimpse I got. But again that was a tiny glimpse. Fans of royal shades should love it. Unfortunately I couldn't see how deep the pink is. The online catalog image should be pretty accurate.

Tina Steele Lindsey said...

Haven't seen Bright Star :-( however was just saying the other day I need a scrapbook. I seriously need a scrapbook. You've given me a couple nudges here in two posts, so thanks!

Style Court said...

Laura -- I think you'll love the art direction in Bright Star :)

Karena said...

I love the pleated ribbons....what a wonderful touch to simple giftwrap.

Ivy Lane said...

I feel your fabulous holiday series of posts comin' on Courtney! Can't wait!!! I am READY for a wonderful holiday season!

home before dark said...

I've used kraft paper for years. With all of the glitz of the holidays, it adds weight and its own charm. I used tartan ribbons, lace, twine, antique ribbons, sometimes strips of fabric. "Brown paper packages tied up with string, these are a few of my favorite things! If you sew, it would be easy to make the pleated ribbons.