Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

10.06.2009

Tools of the Trade


Can't resist following up on this with these boxed sets of color pencils. When I was ten, sets like the Faber-Castel, above, were my idea of heaven. I realize the point of the wood case is to protect all 120 pencils but wouldn't this be stunning left open on a work table? Actually, the three-tiered box reminds me of a mid-century vignette William Pahlmann Associates did for the Tiffany Decorators' Show (sort of a Mad Men-era precursor to Dining By Design).

The table settings were meant to be somewhat fanciful yet real enough that Betty might be inspired to try some of the elements at home. (One year for Tiffany, Sister Parish did the terrific "Picnic for a Sunday Painter.") The Pahlmann vignette, above, is supposed to suggest a working lunch for decorator and client.

In addition to the supply-filled apothecary's chest, there is a brass umbrella stand holding blueprints and fabric swatches. What we can't see is the vibrant color. According to Tiffany Table Settings, there are bright orange linen napkins, a green basket of marigolds, a green leaf-shaped ashtray and two Spanish side chairs covered in sea-green fabric printed with gold. More green appears on the wood chest which was painted green-gold.

It would be interesting to know the provenance of that chest. The Faber-Castel, spotted at Sam Flax South, is pricey: $480.55 and I think that is a reduced figure.

Brook Farm General Store has a beautiful, and more budget-friendly, set of 24 pencils in a cedar box priced at $46.

The pencil set is just the beginning.

Brook Farm carries handsome household cleaning brushes and screwdrivers for that hard-to-buy-for workhorse.


Image two ©Tiffany Table Settings


Update 10.07.09

Thanks to Claire, aka High Gloss Blue, and to Vessel of Beauty for reminding me to mention Felissimo’s 500 Pencils for Social Designer. This project has received a lot of press ranging from Apartment Therapy to Daily Candy and it takes Janet's bouquet of pencils to a whole new level.

The premise is something akin to those monthly flower delivery services except 500 pencils requires a 20-month commitment. At a cost of $33 per month, subscribers receive sets of 25 pencils until all 500 are acquired. If you have little interest in a mammoth collection, still be sure to click here to see imaginative displays and to learn about the vast array of hues offered.

15 comments:

JP's Books said...

Alas, you sure know how to peak my interested with art supplies.
pve

Enzie Shahmiri said...

I can't resist a set of coloring pencils! :) I have an entire set of various colors in glass jars and just can't get enough of them. WOuld that be considered a color pencil fetish?! LOL

Bonnie said...

Thank you for the wonderful pictures and excellent info. Fabulous pictures and info! I really like the pencil box with three levels and hinges. This way the pencils can lay flat and don't get all messed up! The vintage picture is fabulous, looks like it was a jewelry box. This is very inspirational... Im getting some good ideas for boxes!!!

Jackie Von Tobel said...

I have that F&C set of pencils but I had to give up the box in favor of my lazy susans that I use to organize all of my pencils by color. I have hundreds if not thousands of pencils that I use to illustrate my books. You can never have enough colors!

Laura Casey Interiors said...

I need to work on some renderings and update my pencils so Brook Farms sounds like the answer. Thanks for the source.

Style Court said...

Jackie, your collection sounds amazing!

Everyone, thanks for stopping by, glad you like pencils too.

Karena said...

I adore seeing art supplies displayed like this. I am sketching more in the evening. I have a large supply of Prismacolors. I wish they had come in a wooden display box!

The Peak of Chic said...

If you had that set of pencils, you would have to leave the box open all of the time so that you could see the glorious array of colors!

Passementerie said...

I remember coveting that pencil box as a child... who knew it was so expensive though!

Ideezine said...

Life is like a box of colored pencils. You never know what shades and colors can be until you combine them together and try! It's wonderfilled.

Bette

highglossblue.blogspot said...

You should absolutely check out the set of "wall art" made entirely of unadulterated colored pencils: felissimo’s 500 colored pencil set for social designer. You'll find it on DesignBoom, I heard about it via Urban Flea. Enjoy!

ALL THE BEST said...

Love all the coloring pencils...so beautiful!

annechovie said...

To me, art supplies are too pretty to be put away. Love the pencil subscription idea, Courtney. Very unique!

Lucindaville said...

I am obsessed with collections of colored pencils! This post was no exception.

Paris breakfasts said...

Green & Stone on Kings Rd has these set boxes at ridiculous prices in their windows. Fun to browse. Then look in flea markets.