Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

10.21.2009

Sonia's Pupil

Whenever Sonia Delaunay is mentioned here, a few readers usually write and say they are huge fans of the painter and designer. So, when I stumbled across this 1945 work by Texas-born artist, Ella Wharton Alluisi, I thought some of you might be interested in it. According to her biography in an artists blue book, Alluisi studied with Delaunay in Paris during the 1930s. Shown above is Roof Tops Point Richmond, available through Hudsons Estate Gallery in Oakland, California.

The acrylic painting is small, just 9.5 inches by 13.5 inches, and the gallery states that it represents the early years of the creative community, Point Richmond, California. Do you sense a little of Delaunay's influence in the clear colors and use of pattern? Click here to see a related past post.

4 comments:

Jane said...

Really pretty, yes can see a Delaunay influence in the chunky geometric 'puzzle piece' structure but less so in the use of colour as it is not quite as pure and clear and primary. Love love Delaunay and was planning a post on her next week - might have to hold off so as not to saturate blog world in her beauty. (!!!!)

Lisa Borgnes Giramonti said...

Oh, Courtney, I LOVE that painting. I am a huge Sonia fan and although I definitely see the similarities, Ella's work is both distinctive and exquisite. I think I have to find out how much it is....! xxx

Style Court said...

Jane -- I like your point about the 'puzzle piece' structure composition.

Lisa -- glad you like it!

flyoungstudio said...

Fascinating work. I like the slightly muted colors, although I wonder if it was executed like that, or if it just gets better with age.