Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

10.29.2009

Is it the Same Artist?

Yes, it is. A friend asked me if Francesco Clemente, the Italian artist who painted Kelly Klein's portrait above, is the man who did the art seen in 1998's Great Expectations.

In the movie, Ethan Hawke's character, Finn, is an artist and Clemente worked behind the scenes contributing all of the original drawings and paintings featured as Finn's -- even the art he does as a child. Click here for a refresher.

Whatever you thought of the film, the distinct palette is interesting to many designers. Green dominates nearly every frame and a wide spectrum of verdant shades appear. Apparently director Alfonso Cuarón simply loves the color. (More on that here.)

By the way, Clemente is among the contributors to Assouline's To India with Love. And if you have time to listen to the entire segment, the artist's conversation with Charlie Rose is really fascinating.

Francesco Clemente portrait of Kelly Klein, via Town & Country, October 2008; last image courtesy Assouline.

15 comments:

pve design said...

wonderful, loved that interview, what a dreamy voice.
love that he spoke of light and the shadow.
pve

laurelstreet said...

Clemente's outsized watercolors and drawing for Great Expectation were my favorite part of the movie... haven't thought about that in quite some time. Worth revisiting, for sure.

Haskell said...

Courtney, this is so great. I loved this post and the one about forever pieces in Pride and Prejudice. I am constantly analyzing movies in the same way. Don't get me wrong, I love a good story well acted, but I always find myself pausing movies to look at the aesthetic details: colors and lighting, furniture and fabric. All of it is so fascinating! Last night, I watched Chocolat again and I noticed that Juliet Binoche only wears navy and violet and red, a combination that makes her free spirited character pop next to all the somber black the townspeople wear in the film. I'm rambling, but I loved these movie posts! Keep them coming!

Style Court said...

Haskell -- not rambling at all. I've got to go check out the navy/violet/red combo! I'm really glad you like these posts.

Laurel St -- I agree, the art was like a character in the film. That's what drew me in, apart from all the green.

PVE -- the shadow comment got me thinking too!

TERI REES WANG said...

He is also in this month's Novermber Vogue issue: "Dreaming the Landscape" in a collection of various other landscape artists.

Karena said...

Fascinating! I am going to listen to the interview right now.Oh and am also posting a new painting in a moment.

ArchitectDesign™ said...

One of my favorite movies! I was in college at the time and promptly bought it, one of my first dvd's (rather than vhs!) that I watched over and over and over. The artistic direction of that movie make it a masterpiece.

Karena said...

The interview was fascinating and there are others with Charlie Rose everyone will love.

Grant K. Gibson said...

One of my favorite movies!

My Dog-Eared Pages said...

A wonderful post, once again! I look forward to watching the entire interview with Charlie Rose. Thank you Courtney!

Style Court said...

Thanks DEP!

froulala.blogspot.com said...

I love Great Expectations, the book and film. Riveting words and cinematography. Also thought it was interesting that green was the main color of the movie. Thanks for shedding light on Francesco Clemente, listening to his convo with Charlie Rose and enjoying his insights.

Shani said...

I always wondered about the art in Great Expectations. That was such a haunting and beautiful film. Thank you for sharing... I'm definitely going to check out your link. I can't wait to find out more!

balsamfir said...

I felt the movie was a little awkward, but I loved it anyway for using real art.

ulla said...

I first thought that these were anh duongs paintings / drawings...