Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

10.28.2009

The Cup Runneth Over

It usually starts with a slightly over-the-top idea. MaoSayWhat shared this picture on Flickr as part of a set of photos taken at Billy Reid (I believe the NYC shop). It's such a striking look for instore display but I think, on an everyday basis at home, trying to store such a dense arrangement of scarves or handkerchiefs in a vintage trophy or urn would become impractical. However, the image did remind me of another use for ice buckets: napkin storage. Not super-crisp linen napkins that look best ironed, but less formal cotton napkins that can be stored in rolls on a kitchen shelf. Just another way to enjoy a terrific old bucket without waiting for a special occasion.

I don't have a walk-in closet, but if I had a place where I kept some accessories out and close at hand, I might keep a few wool scarves in a silver bucket. Probably too much of a dust magnet, though.

Maybe Mary McDonald still has the best idea. Take a closer look.

She suggests using pretty buckets to hold blueprint-like rolls of paper, or to serve as part-time waste baskets.

Three "blue office" photos above by Melanie Acevedo for domino, January/February 2006.

More pragmatic options. Flipping through San Francisco Style by Diane Dorrans Saeks, I spotted something I used to do: keep paintbrushes in smaller urns. Shown above are detailed views of artist Ira Yeager's barn cropped from David Duncan Livingston's lovely photographs. (I did a double take too. David Douglas Duncan is the photographer behind the Picasso books, one of which appears in my new blog banner painted by talented Anne Harwell.)

[©Anne Harwell]

Happily, overstuffed cups in paintings never tip over. More on Anne's work and the muses behind the picture to follow. Related past post: Best in Show.


Off topic, but I suppose a different kind of bounty, Anthropologie's holiday ornaments are in. For me, the standouts are the swan, the skates, the peacock, and the ombre caribou.




If you have any plans this year to display ornaments in a vintage punch bowl, here's an inspirational image, also from David Duncan Livingston and San Francisco Style.

Update: 10.29.09

When I first put this post together, I should have included a reminder of the umbrella stand used by William Pahlmann Associates to hold blueprints as seen decades ago at the Tiffany Decorators' Show. Love this idea for wrapping paper too. Photograph is from Tiffany Table Settings.

These brass open-work styles aren't always so easy to find but they are really sharp.

14 comments:

Stacy said...

Ooo! Anne really hit a home run with your new banner. It looks lovely. I never tire of Mary McDonald's office so much to inspire.

Style Court said...

Glad you like it Stacy. Anne is wonderful to work with!

Brilliant Asylum said...

How did I miss that fabulous punch bowl last year? That is a beautiful idea. Can't wait to start ornament shopping!

Style Court said...

Me too, no surprise!

sophie dahy designs said...

I love the ice skates and need to get them for my iceskating granddaughter!

Tina Steele Lindsey said...

I would have never thought to put scarves in a silver bucket, but I love the idea so much I am just going to have to! Thanks!

little augury said...

I can't imagine any set of real blue prints that would fit into an icebucket-they are so cumbersome it would take a tall crammed full oversize basket-like the one in my office. I really wonder if people work in these types of spaces-As you saythey must be rolls of paper sketches.That must be her for showing desk.GT

Style Court said...

And to be fair to Mary, the captions I read in past magazines may have said rolled sketches or rolls of paper. I guess I was interpreting blueprints as a possibility for a really generous urn or cooler :)

little augury said...

Courtney, it just struck me that it is nearly impossible to work in general at any desk like that. Wouldn't it be fun to do a series on Reality Desks-How they really work? If only we were brave enough to share a working desk. GT

Karena said...

Courtney, I am going to get an urn out for my paintbrushes today. Also love the napkin idea. I have some favorites rolled in a small basket on the kitchen counter now.

Style Court said...

LA -- Absolutely! Now I'm going to pour over my books looking for examples of true working tables! Fun. Thanks for the thoughts.

Style Court said...

Oh good Karena. Fun project.

The Matters of Style Girls said...

Love the idea of storing scarves in an urn or bowl. I have the hardest time storing scarves, and this seems like a lovely trick!

Anonymous said...

Love the umbrella stand idea -- would work great for wrapping paper rolls -- my organizational nemesis!