Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

10.01.2009

Candy Pink


Recently I asked Atlanta-based designer Candler Lloyd about a desk and abstract art pairing that she did more than twenty years ago in a soft pink 1980s bedroom. The exact origin of the painting isn't certain but Candy noted that the find really lightened up a very serious French desk.

To achieve a similar look in 2009, one of Sally King Benedict's paintings would be a great jumping off point.

Since today is the first day of breast cancer awareness month, I opted for a work dominated by pinks. The mix at top represents one interpretation using pieces from Atlanta shops: an old French Louis XV-style bureau plat in oak and bronze with leather top from The Gables paired with an antique Louis XVI-style chair from Foxglove Antiques.

Less expensive and more rustic options include Wisteria's Louis XVI-style dining chair and maybe an earthier Louis XV-style French oak table from L'Esprit, shown above.

For a choice between The Gables' formal desk and the casual option, I like this French marquetry inlay writing table at The Stalls on Bennett Street in Atlanta. And I also think Caitlin and Tyler of Found could unearth some stylish vintage alternatives.

6 comments:

The Peak of Chic said...

Thank for the pink pick me up this morning!

Karena said...

The pink abstracts are perfect, I will be posting one tomorrow along with a note on Breast Cancer Awareness month.

Mrs. Blandings said...

Thank you, darling Court. This is a great vignette!

Dean Farris said...

Great Post ! I love pink, and I enjoyed seeing this image. Very Southern belle and modern at the same time ! Dean Farris, Naples

Mary said...

Thank you for the nod to Pink October...it's all about awareness
From a survivor!!

SPLENDEROSA said...

Wonderful art piece ! I love big canvas's and I love PINK. Marsha in Houston