Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

10.28.2009

Art in Context

As her online presence has evolved this year, artist Hayley Gaberlavage has frequently popped up on this blog but to date I haven't shared many images that show her work framed and hanging in a residential-like setting. And I think for potential collectors it's helpful to see certain works paired with furniture. Something about the vignette above, photographed at Udwell in New Orleans, feels reminiscent of the interiors in 1960s movies. Maybe it's the mix of abstract art, French Provincial cabinet, and white-brick walls.

By the way, if you're researching art collections in film, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner is a great one to rent. Lots of large-scale lamps mixed with antiques too.

Like photographer Lacey Terrell, Hayley favors the clean look of white or very light frames for her work. Although that style might be typically associated with more modern interiors, the look can really work in a traditional setting as evidenced by this Miles Redd-designed room, shown below.

[Photograph by Simon Upton for Elle Decor, January/February 2009]

Similarly, Millie chose a perfectly understated frame for her Cecil Touchon collage.

Hayley has uploaded more of her pieces here. (And no, in case it crossed your mind, I don't receive a penny or any free art from the artists and galleries I highlight.)

A quick reminder for Atlantans, beginning tomorrow, Thursday, October 29 from 6 to 9 p.m., Holly Bryan is hosting an open house and sale at her studio located at 3725 Powers Ferry Road. Additional hours are Friday and Saturday, October 30 and 31, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Shown above is a very big painting, Ten-Run Inning, but if you're interested in Holly's small works be sure to explore her site and inquire about her price range.

4 comments:

Mrs. Blandings said...

It didn't cross my mind. But I am going back to look at that Redd room.

Jane said...

Lovely images, I think her work is really interesting. I soo agree with you about the painted brick walls being 1960s. You never see that anymore. The thing about framing is that it can completely change the look of the art. I guess one approach is to do what the artist wants, so the fact that she likes that style of framing is important. So many modern artists do not want or like frames, and I have a lot of unframed art which I don't mind - but then for some work it really finishes it off, and completes the piece so that it sits more comfortably in a room. Sorry for the rant, I could talk about framing \ art all day!!

Karena said...

Thank you for the feature on art in homes. I always encourage my patrons to live with their art a few day before purchase. The white or black frames work very well. Mrs B I know you love the touches of black and they look great on your new image gallery/

Belle said...

I love how the white frames evoke a feeling of looking at the art as if through a window, an open window. They echo, too, the crown moulding, etc.