Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

9.22.2009

More Good Things in Small Packages

I didn't want to wait until the holidays to see if this might be in my Christmas stocking, so I went ahead and bought V & A Pattern: Indian Florals. But the book's petite size and reasonable price do make it the perfect stocking stuffer for a textile enthusiast. Or, really, just a lovely gift on its own. For something so tiny, it has nice details like a ribbon bookmark, and the included CD contains 71 images which students and designers can use non-commercially.

["Indian Flower" in Saffron ©Michael Smith]

Looking back at several centuries of Indian design, I definitely see precursors to contemporary fabric collections like Michael Smith's Jasper line and Brigitte Singh's hand-blocked work. In the book's introductory essay, scholar Rosemary Crill explains the prevalence of plant-and-flower-derived patterns in old Indian fabrics.

Sites of interest:
V & A Images
V & A Museum

9 comments:

beachbungalow8 said...

this totally inspired me. How pretty would it be to make mixed cds using color copies of these prints as labels?

thanks for always providing great inspiration!

Style Court said...

Megan -- I LOVE that idea. Sort of like what I was attempting a few weeks ago with that "Georgia on My Mind" thing but you've taken it in a great direction. Thank you!

little augury said...

I think I will start shopping a bit early too- The Michael Smith fabric is a fav. and I used it in your featured colorway in a breakfast room, sitting room, kitchen. Alas-I am tempted to use it again on an upcoming project-but I hate to repeat fabrics in close locations. GT

vicki archer said...

Great idea and great fabrics....love the yellow, xv.

The Blushing Hostess said...

Oh! is that really $12? What a lovely little mite of thoughtfulness 0 for a hostess gift, even!

The Peak of Chic said...

I must get a copy for myself! You're right- it's such a thoughtful and affordable holiday gift.

Ideezine said...

Creativity is at it's height when the economy has limits. Some of the best ideas come out of the simple things and gifts become so special. Love it thanks for sharing.

Bette

Dean Farris said...

Wow, Courtney, your blog is AMAZING ! Dean Farris

Style Court said...

Thanks Dean!