Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

9.11.2009

Hands On

I was curious to see what Anupama Swaminadhan has been up to lately so I began browsing her site. Turns out there was a nice story about her in the August 2009 issue of Canadian House & Home, and I think her hand-painted linens would be the ultimate luxury for a fantasy Thanksgiving table (or any fall table). Of course I'm always drawn to her pillows, too.

Swaminadhan uses the 3,000-year-old kalamkari technique which traditionally involves painting dyes on fabric using a bamboo pen. In the mood to learn more about that, I hopped over to the Calico Museum of Textiles. But there I got distracted again by the decades-old books for sale.


I still haven't converted the rupees to U.S. dollars to compare the museum's prices with rare/used book dealers in the U.S.

If you decide to do some browsing, look out for titles about handcrafted textiles written by B. C. Mohanty; many of these come with actual cloth samples -- often 38 or so. The Selvedge Bookshop is another good source for textile books, and I did find quite a few old Mohanty titles over at Amazon. Although, as expected with out-of-print art and design books, the prices are high.


Credits: images one and two via Anupama Swaminadhan; three through five via the Calico Museum of Textiles; and six via Amazon and Fred Struthers.

12 comments:

Yansy said...

I love those pillows! That's amazing her techniques are that old, it makes it that much more romantic.

Style Court said...

Yansy, the old tradition does add to the appeal. Good point.

Mel said...

Lovely work! It reminded me of print you can make using wooden Batik Stamps.
Have a great weekend.
-M

Kifus said...

"involves painting dyes on fabric using a bamboo pen" Oh my! She must have tons of patience! I love them!

Style Court said...

Mel -- Thanks and enjoy your weekend too!

Style Court said...

Hi Kifus -- Yes, loads of patience! She does employ artisans who must have it.

Anonymous said...

That pillow knocks my socks off!

My mother had a year-long job in Ceylon (before it was Sri Lanka) in the 50's and brough back many amazing glazed printed cottons.

Thanks for this posting.

Suzanne on St. Simons

Lynne Rutter said...

handmade textiles and old books- two of my favorite subjects!!

le style et la matière said...

These do make you think of rich Fall colors. The asymmetrical design on the pillow is a beauty. I think the Ikat and Chintz books you show are worth getting for the covers alone!

erin ferucci said...

This is an absolutely gorgeous blog!! Thank you so much for all of your time and effort. I am going to spend time with this one tomorrow!

Style Court said...

Thanks Erin! I really appreciate that.

Karena said...

These textiles are fabulous, the intricacy of the designs, and yes, so much patience!