Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

9.30.2009

Good Morning Sunshine

In April, when I did a series of posts on handmade gifts, there was a brief mention of Amanda Talley's four-hour disc mix compiled for Art for Arts' Sake. The positive response to it has inspired a new fall series of iMixes from guest contributors. First up, naturally, is Amanda. I asked her for a mix that would work for Sunday brunch and she came up with a jazz-inflected compilation appropriate for a multi-generational gathering.

And even though a brunch was the original idea, I think this mix is also really nice to listen to alone while doing a Sunday morning project. All of the songs below are available through iTunes. Here's a direct link to the whole mix.


1. Ella Fitzgerald and Stevie Wonder "The Sunshine of My Life"
2. Louis Armstrong "All of Me"
3. Terence Blanchard "Ghost of Congo Square"
4. Nina Simone "My Baby Don't Care for Me"
5. Dr. John "Such a Night"
6. Pete Fountain "Do you know What it Means to Miss New Orleans"
7. Allen Toussaint (live at JazzFest) "Southern Nights"
8. Clarence "Frogman" Henry "Ain't got no Home"
9. Dinah Washington "Baby you Got What it Takes"
10. Etta James "Sunday Kind of Love"
11. Phil Phillips "Sea of Love"

Credits:
CD label art by Amanda Talley; for more inspiration, visit The Big Easy Life.

The image at top is via Gourmet; photo by Mikkel Vang. Click here for Scott Peacock's pimento cheese toast recipe.

Bloody Mary photograph by Marian Cooper Cairns for Southern Living. Click here for the recipe.

6 comments:

Mrs. Blandings said...

The makings of a great series. I just got XM/Sirius and am giddy at whole stations of jazz, blues and Motown. I'm checking out her picks today.

Style Court said...

Patricia -- I think you will enjoy the mix. I listened to it last night and plan now to give it as a gift with Callie's biscuits or something like that.

Dean Farris said...

It sounds wonderful, and delish !

Amanda Stone Talley said...

I love the CD art! Now I just need to figure out how to do that too! I was having a day where everything that could go wrong kept going wrong. I'm so glad I came over to see your blog where everything is right! I feel better already..

Style Court said...

Amanda -- it's really easy! I just bought a kit at Staples that came with software, loads of peel-off round labels and a gadget that affixes the label to the cd. Thank you for contributing the playlist!

Hope your day gets better.

Karena said...

I love this mix! Let me know when you have a link for the combination!