Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

9.13.2009

Design Library

"Design Library" was the name I really wanted to use for this blog, but a sharper blogger already had the idea and, besides that, there was textile connoisseur Susan Meller's 30-year-old repository, The Design Library. In college some of my friends dubbed me Library of Congress (not because I had an amazing mind but because I saved loads of photographs and articles). More than that though, I liked the library imagery since my hope was to create a peaceful, approachable site where a diverse group of readers could easily find helpful links to art-and-design-related resources such as LACMA's textile collection and Marla Mallett.

Trying to keep in mind friends who were juggling many responsibilities and always found themselves short on time, I decided to put a lot of effort into my blog sidebar, which encompasses lists of direct links to educational, practical, or (hopefully) inspirational sites.

In the past, the sildeshows in the sidebar were often comprised of my own original photos but at the moment you will find archived tear sheets representing the homes of two Southerners in New York: Elliott Puckette and Miles Redd. Both have outdoor areas that feel a little like courtyard gardens. (There are nine images in the Redd slideshow; be sure to use the arrow keys at the bottom of the screen.)

The list of labels to your right is ridiculously long. I'm struggling with that. Since the search box sometimes yields spotty results, I attempt to label everything so that readers can find past posts. Keep checking the resource list though, I'm always editing it and trying to keep the size manageable.

Credits:
1. The Design Library archives photographed by Jim Bastardo via Victoria, 2001.

2. The library at The Mount from Edith Wharton: A House Full of Rooms: Architecture, Interiors, Gardens by Theresa Craig with photographs by John Bessler.

3. Paul Costello photograph of Miles Redd and friends, domino, April 2008.

22 comments:

Laura Casey Interiors said...

I always enjoy looking at your sidebar. It is always resourceful and good looking. Was just in Billy Reid yesterday....always trouble!

Style Court said...

Laura, glad to hear that. Thank you. I'm envious of you having a Billy Reid in NC!

Mel said...

I love the The first picture, the fabrics look gorgeous.
Your sidebar is a wonderfull collections for whome ever is searching for inspiration.
-M

Style Court said...

Hi Mel -- Thanks. I love what the stylist did with the first image too.

little augury said...

I think Elliott Puckette's home is aspirational- a hard act to follow for feminine,livable and effortless chic. I also think you do a great job with the sidebars- It shows that you have put a great deal of thought into the contents. Mine is right now very "stock" as to layout- You have made me feel more inspired to "think" about improvements. It's also great that you share your secrets! GT

Style Court said...

LA -- I know, it's hard to get such an effortless but chic look. Whenever I look at her house, for just a second, I ponder switching to all white slipcovered furniture, rich oriental rugs and art-covered walls!

Thanks as always for stopping by.

Style Court said...

Actually, not every stitch of the furniture is white. Sorry. Someone will send me an email about that.

ALL THE BEST said...

I still love that photo of Miles and friends!

Passementerie said...

There is so much in your sidebar! I am very very bad at adding categories to my blog posts...

Anonymous said...

Your blog is a delightful resource – the thought and dedication you put in behind the scenes – help your legions of fans and readers locate subject matter and lead us to other sites. I have spent much of my hard earned house museum salary at Amazon because of books and subjects you have indorsed. Thank you. KDM

Style Court said...

KDM,

You just gave me my motivation for the week. Can't thank you enough!

Ideezine said...

the go-to person is a good thing. We all need that option. Thanks!

Bette

Easy and Elegant Life said...

That Costello shot reminds me of the spots for "Egoïste" filmed in the 80's? Both make me smile. Wouldn't it be a delight to fill a house full of friends and entertain them in the courtyard.

Your sidebar is a resource itself. Well done.

Style Court said...

Chris, thanks!

I'm googling "Egoïste" right now. Haven't seen it.

Mrs. Blandings said...

Really can't imagine you being anything but Style Court, but I was almost A Good Eye. I've struggled with my tags, too. Love how Meg reduced all of hers to just a few categories. I'm hoping the search thing is a glitch - it worked much better a while ago.

I always love the links in your margin.

Style Court said...

Patricia,

I wonder if there is a bon œil blog out there? I can't imagine you as anything other than Mrs. Blandings. That was brilliant.

The Browns said...

I love the design library. It is such a treat taking the train up there for the day from NYC. They are all such sweet people too!

Style Court said...

Oh, and I need to study Meg's list.

J.Covington said...

Fabulous fabric - the texture~!

I too have been chopping, playing and just figured out how to add an extra column to my blog. Love it, but now wonder if it should have been 2 small on the right?

Anyways, I've always loved your site.

Style Court said...

Thanks J. Covington!

Karen said...

With apologies for evoking Billy Joel, we love you just the way you are, Courtney!

Style Court said...

Karen,

Then I won't go changin'. Except maybe for that label list.


(Appreciate it! Thank you.)