Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

8.01.2009

Tamara Thomsen at 20 x 200

Right off the bat I have to once again credit Janet Blyberg for introducing me to a terrific artist. Today it's Tamara Thomsen. Shown above is Stairway, part of Thomsen's series, Chambers, which includes large-scale watercolor paintings of spare interiors on paper. The artist's inspiration for the rooms came from the 18th-century Georgian house, Mt. Pleasant, in Philadelphia. Her focus is on the architecture, the lines, the woodwork -- basically the bones of the rooms.

Currently, affordable editioned prints of Stairway are available at 20 x 200, gallerist Jen Bekman's website offering limited edition prints of original works on paper (and photography) at attainable prices. Archival pigment prints of Thomsen's work are priced between $20 and $200, depending on size.

Thomsen earned her MFA in painting at Virginia Commonwealth University and her BFA in painting at Syracuse University.

Image © Tamara Thomsen.

If you're an architecture buff, you might enjoy A Matter of Perception.

17 comments:

AphroChic said...

Amazing! I am going to go now to check out the prints.

pve design said...

Wonderful. These are stunning. There is no denying the "good bones" of these works.
pve

The Consummate Hostess said...

Very nice, cannot wait to check out more!

Yansy said...

I love it! I just found your blog and I'm really enjoying it. I wanted to invite you to enter my giveaway, you have until Monday. Have a wonderful weekend!

home before dark said...

Always love your "scoops" to new artists. Do you know the work of North Carolina artist Page Laughlin? There was an article about her in May 2007 Traditional Home. Her work is interior focused as Thomen's is but her approach is very different. Both are inspiring for those of us who are house and art junkies!

Zuniga Interiors Design Studio said...

Courtney,

Fabulous post on artists! And I love the post on the Eastern fabrics- Eastern and Moroccan Decor is my passion- though I don't always get the opportunity to incorporate Eastern esp. Moroccan into my designs- just waiting for the right clients! I love your blog- it's one of the first blogs I ever came accross! Stop by to visit my blog and say Hi!


Take Care!

Michelle Zuniga
Zuniga Interiors

Style Court said...

HBD -- Thanks. I'll Google her :)

Style Court said...

Michelle, Yansy --

Thanks for the kind words. Appreciate that.

Ideezine said...

Takes one great artist to know another and then share others with us thanks!

Bette

Style Court said...

Janet has such a great eye! Her finds are terrific.

Karena said...

Very unique, wonderful works by Tamara.

Belle said...

Wow, she has a great use of color and marries it with great architecture, or bones!

Thank you - I am going to look her up! I miss the city and the constant exposure to beautiful architecture for free.

Style Court said...

Belle -- it's fun to see the range on her site and then the 20 x 200 option is so budget-friendly :)

Janet said...

Such a jewel box of colors...and an eye for bringing the past alive. I am glad you liked Thomsen's art as much as I did!

P.S. SC is loading again on the old Mac!

tamt said...

Tamara Thomsen here--a Style Court fan sent me a tip about this page. Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments, including Style Court's write-up. I really appreciate it. And JCB's mention too. You all made my day!

Style Court said...

Tamara -- great to hear from you! I love your work and just bought a print myself :)

nosheen said...

thanks for sharing great artwork...beautiful!!