Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

8.24.2009

Maybe a Road Trip to See Picasso at Duke?

[Photo by Jerome Carpenter for WRAL News]

[Click here to view highlights of the Nasher Museum of Art exhibition, Picasso and the Allure of Language, from "Tar Heel Traveler," WRAL-TV’s Scott Mason]

Remember when I mentioned Picasso and the Allure of Language? The exhibition explores the artist's relationship with writers as well as the impact of language on his work, and it just opened a few days ago at Duke University's Nasher Museum of Art. As noted in July, the Nasher has put together a great website to accompany the show, but here are a few more links that might entice you to venture to North Carolina this fall and see in person Picasso's works alongside related books, letters, photographs, and manuscripts.

Nasher blogs
News coverage by WRAL-TV’s Scott Mason
Nasher Museum of Art on Flickr

For those of you who are in the area, the museum will host a panel discussion, August 27 at 7 p.m., featuring curator Susan Greenberg Fisher of Yale University Art Gallery and Patricia Leighten, professor in Duke's Department of Art, Art History & Visual Studies. Reservations are encouraged.

The exhibition continues through January 3, 2010.

North Carolinian Little Augury has seen the exhibit and shares a review here. Past post of interest: Self Portrait.

10 comments:

little augury said...

Yes! thanks to your early post, I ready and did a couple of prelim. post to that end.As I mentioned earlier-if you do venture to the area please let me know. Gaye

Style Court said...

Gaye -- that's great. Thanks for letting me know.

Susan Campbell Cross said...

This does look interesting! I saw some of Picasso's ceramics in Las Vegas (can you believe some of the big hotels on the strip actually have amazing exhibits?). Prior to that I had no idea he even did ceramics. I think this exhibit at the Nasher would be fascinating as well. I may have to think about dragging a friend and making a trip out there.

Thanks for the info!

Karena said...

I would love to be there. Just look at the very end of my blog...Picasso's art is always featured!

The Peak of Chic said...

Great idea for a Fall road trip!

Ideezine said...

So much wonderful art so little time. Thank goodness for blogging you get treated to great things!

Bette

style chronicle said...

Just saw some of his fabulous work at the Phillip's Collection in D.C. This certainly looks intriguing.

Emily Amy Gallery said...

I will actually be in my hometown of Durham, NC in September and will certainly put it on my list of things-to-do! Thanks for the notice!

Haven and Home said...

Very cool! I may need to do a road trip...

bess said...

Would also love to see an exploration of Picasso's influence on music.