Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

8.22.2009

Indian Florals


In July the V & A published a new series of budget-friendly pocket-sized resource books for designers, artists, and all who love pattern. Rosemary Crill's Indian Florals is part of the collection and is scheduled to be released in the U.S. the first week of September. Apart from the great price (about $12 at most retailers), the terrific thing about this volume is the accompanying CD of of the book's images. Designers can redraw or rework these.

Crill, senior curator in the V & A's Asian Department, is an authority on Indian textiles and her book, Chintz: Indian Textiles for the West, is another beautifully illustrated resource.

Related past post: The Garrick Bed.



Click here for the Maiwa "Cotton Road" podcast with Rosemary Crill.

Last April for the The Lenox Hill Neighborhood House benefit, designer Thu Do layered a beautiful table using John Robshaw's Kahili red ginger tablecloth and Peacock note cards. I love how the Kahili print is reminiscent of antique Indian patterns. Images courtesy the Robshaw blog.

14 comments:

Pigtown-Design said...

WOW! I want one!

Dumbwit Tellher ♥ said...

I'm with Pigtown - a great addition to my design book collection! Thanks for the tip ~

Mrs. Blandings said...

This seems to be a series for the ages. Collect them all! What a find - thanks for the heads up.

pve design said...

I love these sorts of resources and the way you they seem to find you. Thanks for sharing.
pve

little augury said...

gotta have that, love the V&A. I am reading a novel that describes the ground breaking of it with Victoria. great find.thanks,G

The Consummate Hostess said...

Oh I cannot wait to check out the book! Thanks for sharing.

sinnlighet said...

Oh my, I like your amazing, nice & gorgeous blog!

Regards from Agneta in Sweden o;)

Style Court said...

Thanks Sinnlighet!

Passementerie said...

Thank you - these will be really useful!

home before dark said...

The perfect prescription for fighting the dreaded and dreadful beige malaise!

Ideezine said...

I'm thinking christmas gift list either now for me or for someone else, that's the question!

Great stuff.

Bette

the NEO-traditionalist said...

Oh la la, Indian inspired chintz...what's not to love? The CD would certainly come in handy as well! Thanks for introducing me to these books---they're certainly going on the wishlist!
XXX Kate "the NEO-trad"

The Peak of Chic said...

Thanks for the heads up b/c I'm very excited about this! The V&A used to publish a series on pattern- in a small book format- back in the 1980s. I have a set of those books and I ADORE them!

Laura Casey Interiors said...

I love that John Robshaw fabric and combination with the plates. It is beautiful. That fabric reminds me of some from Bennison.