Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

8.09.2009

Back to School

I've got bulletin boards on the brain. More specifically, bulletin boards made from vintage frames and pretty fabric. Over the weekend I spied a large remnant of chintz framed in an ornate gilt frame, and my friend Kelly has been selling quite a few in her Etsy shop.

They're a great way to make use of remnants of "it" fabrics purchased before the economic meltdown and I especially like the idea for a teen's bedroom. Shown above are mock-ups made using Schumacher's "Arbre Chinois" and "Chiang Mai Dragon" along with the virtual framing tool available at pictureframes.com. The blue desk is from Caitlin and Tyler. Classic marbled composition notebooks in varied colors are available here.

As an homage to Jake's shirt in Sixteen Candles, consider a plaid. The sample below is from Lewis Sheron. (Here's the link to the Washington Post piece about Jake Ryan.)

Kelly opted for a classic plaid, shown below, on a memo board that recently sold.



Coleen Rider's inspiration board, above, is trimmed with Greek key. Photo by Megan Arquette.

And that old fave from an early Miles Redd bedroom (Elle Decor, March 2001). I believe this one was created with paint, not fabric.

Oh, and speaking of school supplies, I recently spotted these oversized rhino erasers at Providence Antiques in Atlanta. Also available at Greener Grass Design.



One last school reference: Camilla's comment led me to check out some of her latest projects and her mention of chalkboard paint reminded me of an old post with this mystery room via House & Garden.

Definitely a different take on a Draper-esque white mirror contrasted with the deep green. Maybe the room was photographed right as the Dorothy Draper revival was gaining steam? The walls are still an interesting idea for a child's craft area.

Here's Carolina Herrera, Jr.'s chalkboard photographed by Eric Cahan for Domino, spring/summer 2005, via Decorology.

A reader asked me to add this image of of Bonnie Cashin's "graffiti doors" from a past post. On bold blocks of color, the designer wrote quotes from her heroes. Photo courtesy Stephanie Lake, creative director of The Bonnie Cashin Foundation.

DVD image via Amazon.

20 comments:

Aileen said...

those are the coolest bulletin boards i have ever seen!! so perfect!

Anna Spiro said...

Such a great post! Love your ideas for a patterned fabric pin board.

xo
Anna

Style Court said...

Thanks Anna!

Aileen, glad you like them :)

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

I've been doing this for the last couple of years and giving them out as gifts and people love them!

They normally put push pins in and use it to hold their jewelry.

I actually just did one this weekend for a room that I am re-doing and hopefully featuring on my blog this week.

I'll keep you posted.

You now have me itching for school supplies!

Style Court said...

High heeled -- that's so cool. LOVE the jewelry idea. Keep us posted!

Style Court said...

Oh, and in response to an email:

Homasote board is usually used to make them.
I think I first learned about covering homasote board via Martha Stewart more than a decade ago. HGTV has instructions too. If you don't have a vintage frame, try the readymade section at an art supply store.

Ideezine said...

Oh those back-to-school promotions time to list out projects and get rolling. Summer is almost over. I absolutely love supplies (office, school, art, sewing, interior design) all of it. Love the fabric use/board idea!

Great post!

Bette

jamey said...

that turquoise desk! *swoon*

Found said...

thanks courtney! now we need to find a coordinating board to hang above....!

Blushing hostess said...

I probably would not want to pin anything to them...

the NEO-traditionalist said...

Is it sad that I looooove the rhino eraser? I don't care if it isn't the height of sophistication---it's purely great fun! Thanks for the great post : )
XX Kate
"the NEO-trad"

Sarah (Matters of Style) said...

Love the bamboo frames!

Dumbwit Tellher ♥ said...

Great post! I love memory boards, bulletin boards, chalk boards, you name it. Maybe I should of been a teacher?!

Laura Casey Interiors said...

Oh I love all of these. I have been off the radar for two weeks and am so happy to be back to read your great posts! Thanks for the added bonus of JR.

Style Court said...

Thanks to all of you for the positive reaction.

Laura, after your sweet comment I had to go to wikipedia and remind myself what his last name was in the movie :)

Ms. B said...

I love the plaid memo board, such a fun idea! Plaid is everywhere right now, I plan on taking full advantage!

xoxo

Cote de Texas said...

love Coleen's - that is fabulous!!!!

Style Court said...

There is a good piece about Jake Ryan in the Washington Post too.

Kelly Galvin Robson said...

Thanks, Courtney! I'm having a lot of fun with the tack boards on the shop! It's honestly hard to give them up (the faux bamboo versions are an obvious favorite of mine)! The homasote is a great material too (self healing)... Thanks again!

xoxo
Kelly

Stephanie Lake said...

Thank you, Courtney, and your reader, for including Bonnie's graffiti wall in such a great post!