Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

8.02.2009

August Rush


August usually goes by in a flash but I do love the look this time of year of all that rich green shot through with the fading deep pinks and purples of crepe myrtles. And as the hydrangeas morph to soft jade and other jewel tones, I can never decide which phase is my favorite.

While there's no crispness in the air yet, the fall preview catalogs offer the promise that soon those tall boots can come back out of their box.

Over the past three years, two months and two days, a lot of lush green has appeared on this blog. There have been posts about surprisingly vibrant shades in Williamsburg, Strasbourg green in Sarah Lowengard's The Creation of Color in 18th Century Europe, and Tony Duquette's passion for malachite. Some days there were just pictures of found emerald-like objects. Shown at the top is a small review with a couple of fresh things thrown in.

The secretary in the top right hand corner was photographed by Sean Terretta at Colonial Williamsburg. The painting of the sporting dogs, ceramic Stafforshire-like dogs, and antique Chinese jar with elephant handles are all Coleen Rider's finds. The riding boot image is via Frye.

The credit for the swatches reads: Rapport sur la vert de Saxe du Sr. Roederer; document preserved at the Centre historique des Archives nationales, Paris. All others, except for the cover of Michael Smith's book and the Annie Butrus painting (far right, second from bottom) are my own snapshots.

13 comments:

Mrs. Blandings said...

You find the best parts of each phase - which will keep me coming back for the next three years, two months and two day or more if I am lucky.

Style Court said...

Well, Patricia, I have to laugh at myself for how I counted the days. I calculated May 09 as marking year three, then June, July and two days in Aug. Should have started from mid-May to be precise. Anyway, thanks as always!

pve design said...

August conjures up images of hazy, hot, languid and then the energy of gearing up for back to school and all the new Fall items luring us away. I love August for the blue and the green. Your "snapshots" always make me so happy!
pve

Style Court said...

PVE -- such a perfect description. Love it.

Karena said...

This is so true. Kansas City has been fortunate this summer, however I am sure we will have many very hot, humid days to come.In the meantime my flowers are doing beautifully. I am already thinking of school supplies for the grandchildren!

Ideezine said...

Well the school supplies have been in the stores since mid July. Now that I have an iPhone no need to purchase any more paper supplies. But I do have to use up the stuff I have already! Which means fun and creativity. My flowers are all looking great this summer, I have noticed some trees starting to shed their leaves. Fall is around the corner!

Bette

Laura Casey Interiors said...

I have this feeling you are loving green lately! At the same time, I am eager for tall boot days to return.

Style Court said...

Laura, guilty as charged! I'm obsessed with green and tall boots, all boots :)

Janet said...

Right now, I have a vase of green and rust colored hydrangea (from a friend's garden) sitting here on my desk...and am marveling at how a few short days ago, those same flowers were a rich blue. I always love this late summer transition.

Belle said...

Funny, this summer is the first time I have really noticed and appreciated that particular leaf green color so profuse at this time of the year. Gorgeous! Summer evenings are the best too. I thought fall was my favorite but I am not sure anymore just because of those summer evenings.

Style Court said...

I think I like the feel, the less humid air, in September and October but love the look of August :)

The Gardener's Eden said...

Ah sweet hydrangea. August seems to zip by far too quickly. In fact I found myself musing and writing about the same subject at the same time, actually. I haven't been to visit your blog in a bit, and I truly love this post, perhaps because it relates to gardening. I found you through my art connection, (to Emily Amy Gallery). You grow things I covet in Georgia... most of all though, the peaches.
Thank you, the post is lovely.
Michaela

Style Court said...

Michaela, what a lovely thing to say. I so appreciate you stopping by. Thank you.

Courtney