Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

7.06.2009

Style Guides

Need to refresh your memory about motifs in Chinese ceramics or the elements of Palladianism? The V & A style guides may have what you are searching for. Actually the museum offers a wide range of online databases, but the well-illustrated Understanding Styles section is particularly helpful when only a quick introduction is needed. Topics range from major historical periods in the decorative arts to the influence of Japanese design on the West.

Oh, and by the way, there is a quiz at the end of each sub-section.

9 comments:

Tracy @ comfortandluxury said...

What a great resource. Always looking for ways to refresh. Thanks! (and love that there's a quiz!)

The Peak of Chic said...

It is a great resource which I refer to constantly! I'll admit, though, that I've never taken the quizzes.

Style Court said...

Taking the quizzes gets kind of addictive :)

GrannySmithGreen said...

Off the subject, I know, but there's that great seersucker! Now, off to the V&A site! Have a great Monday!

Style Court said...

Thanks GSG! It's linen and I got it at Silk Trading before the Atlanta location closed.

Pigtown-Design said...

I love the V&A website. There's always something interesting to discover.

Kat said...

How interesting. My husband's grandmother just gave us an identical plate. She is from Savannah, and it was her grandmother's. I can't wait to read more. Thanks so much, as always.

Style Court said...

Hi Kat, funny, this Canton plate belonged to my grandparents' :)

Miss Martha said...

I collect Chinese ceramics, so thank you for the info Style Court!

Any questions you have about antiques, refer to this guy, he's a true antiquarian!
http://access.decorati.com/2009/06/30/buzz-kaplans-adventures-in-antiquing/