Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

7.29.2009

Green Day

[Photography above by Liz Banfield]

As a follow up to the July 20th post, I asked Nicki Clendening of Scout Designs about the vibrant green leather on the refined chairs she used for wedding designer Tara Guérard's new satellite office in Manhattan. Turns out Nicki hit the jackpot when she found the chairs, upholstered just as they are seen here, in a Charleston antique mall. They were marked Baker and happen to be the very first thing she bought for the office. Nicki says, "I have a new obsession with green now because of it!"

So, Haskell Harris has suggested christening the leather, "Magnolia Leaf Green," and I just love how those words convey something glossy and lush. John Robshaw also chose a great description for his fall 2009 block-print pillow cover: "Veridian." Priced at $50, this cover is expected to be available in October.

This image was shot by Janet Blyberg in the greenhouse at Hillwood Museum and it is now in my favorites file.

Ligaments by Leila Singleton.

A detail of artist Victoria Molinelli's "Hanging Robe" watercolor.


1960s Vera silk scarf available at The Lucky Fish. $42. Kelly offers some background on artist Vera Neumann here.

15 comments:

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Too funny. Great minds must think a like. I posted about that office today as well. I just saw it this morning and it stoppped me in my tracks. I love it! How nice that you got to email Nicki and ask where they were from.

I jotted down her email as well to ask her to participate in my in her shoes series.

We shall see...

Style Court said...

I think it's making the rounds on the blogosphre. I first posted it last week :) Nicki is terrific. Good luck with your series.

pve design said...

I adore that Janet, her photos are the best. That Vera Scarf is just the happiest!
pve

Style Court said...

High Heeled,

P.S., your series sounds fun!

Laura Trevey said...

gorgeous image in the greenhouse!

Paul Pincus said...

i think i'm obsessed with tara guérard's green leather chairs, too! it's the colour green. i just can't get enough!

cheers, courtney.

Ivy Lane said...

I'll bet she was glad not to have to re-upholster the chairs! Love the "Hanging Robe" rendering...

Ivy Lane said...

I'll bet she was glad not to have to re-upholster the chairs! Love the "Hanging Robe" rendering...

Mrs. Blandings said...

Funny, I seem to find a lot of my favorites HERE.

Karen said...

Love these greens. And congratulations on nice recognition on the latest Skirted Roundtable, Courtney!

Style Court said...

Thanks Karen!

flyoungstudio said...

Love love love that Vera! I have taken to collecting them in my closet. I hardly find time to wear them, but the bold designs inspire me from time to time.

Grant K. Gibson said...

I love the detail on the maiden hair fern.
I wish that I could grow them.
I just kill them.
Such a pretty shot!

Emily Evans Eerdmans said...

Courtney, so many beautiful images! Love love the "hanging robe" and as for Ms. Janet's photograph...sigh...

Alicia said...

Janets maidnehair is now in my fav file too. I'm always up for green & I just lovethe Robshaw cover... great price too!
Great finds Courtney.