Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

7.12.2009

Gelatin Monotype II

Last month I mentioned Maryland-based printmaker Amanda Gordon Miller's gelatin monotypes and linked to an article she wrote about her process. I know it was hard to visualize exactly how she uses unflavored gelatin to make a printing surface. Maybe this image will help.

She forms a printing "plate" or block with the gelatin, then applies to the surface inks and hand-cut stencils. (Her article covers all the details, including how she applies her paper.)


The end result is more painterly than a woodcut or linocut.

Amanda earned her MA in Museum Studies from Syracuse University and sells some of her prints through her Etsy shop, Edamame Press.

Jell-o box via Walmart.. Again, clear, unflavored gelatin is used for printmaking, and Amanda covers that in the article, too.

If you prefer to use Jell-o in the kitchen, don't forget that Julia Reed sings the praises of gelatin in her book, Ham Biscuits, Hostess Gowns, and Other Southern Specialties: An Entertaining Life (with Recipes).

8 comments:

Karen said...

Oh the interesting things that can be done with gelatin! Love her prints.

little augury said...

I love all things Julia Reed. What a delicious little book that is! I have a hilarious cookbook of my gran's "fun with jello" I just go thru and read the receipts(as she would have written) She loved experimenting with the arts too- if she had only known about this side of jello she would have been cooking it up too. Great post. la

Blushing hostess said...

At first I thought... uh-oh, where is this going - not being the biggest fan of gelatin since drinking three huge cups of gelatin liquid at my Grandmother's as a little beater - I can see now that besides making me very sick, it also makes lovely art!

Ideezine said...

You just never know where the creativity is going to come from.

Great ideas and curious art. All good!

Bette

La Maison Fou said...

Love this! I like the different types of art genres that you always come up with. Also, the way you describe & have an example!
Leslie

Style Court said...

Hi everyone! I have to admit, in terms of cuisine I'm not a huge gelatin fan.

Glad you like Amanda's work!

Brillante Home Decor said...

I love your posts because they have different interesting, inspiring things every time.

Style Court said...

Oh wow BHD -- thanks. That's what I want to hear!