Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

7.08.2009

Day at the Museum

One reason I like museum lectures so much is that the speakers are terrific. Contrary to the dry sitcom stereotype, the curators who speak are usually very dynamic. And unlike handsomely paid politicians who go on the lecture circuit, they typically aren't hawking a book. Most often they have spent years passionately studying a specific subject and have something genuinely interesting to share. I rarely leave a museum lecture feeling as if I didn't learn anything.

There are still plenty of great lectures scheduled on the National Gallery of Art's summer calendar. All are free to the public and registration is not required. Here are just a few that grabbed my attention:

The Painter and the Photographer: Georgia O'Keeffe and Alfred Stieglitz
July 19 at 2 p.m.

The Crucible of Viennese Modernism: Gustav Klimt, Egon Schiele, and Oskar Kokoschka
July 26 at 2 p.m.

Fomenting Revolution: Braque, Picasso, and Cubism
August 23 at 2 p.m.

Expatriate Rivals: James McNeill Whistler and John Singer Sargent
August 30 at 2 p.m.

The view of the NGA above is via Sorento66.

Something else worth noting: Picasso and the Allure of Language, an upcoming exhibition at the Nasher Museum of Art that explores the artist's deep relationship with writers and the impact of language on his work. (Interesting online site, too. Be sure to check out the talks.)

8 comments:

little augury said...

Courtney- don't dare come to the Nasher and not call me- I love the Nasher and am just about 30 minutes away. LA

Anonymous said...

Oh, to live in a grand,large city and attend museum lectures...I love hanging about lecture groups in museums in London while visiting...I wish those talented guides had published books...

Style Court said...

Hi Anon -- I'd love to be visiting London museums this summer too!

Style Court said...

LA -- Oh, that's right! If I get to go, I'll let you know!

AVan said...

I am a newbie to reading decor blogs, and seem to return to yours repetitively for all the beauty you share. But this is the first time I realized you are in "my" town--excellent.:-)

Style Court said...

Hi AVan -- I'm so happy you stopped by! Thanks for visiting.

Janet said...

What a treat to see the NGA up here! Honestly, you can't wrong with any of these lectures. You just need to get yourself up here.

And thank you for featuring the house tours!

Christina said...

Having studied art history in DC, I can attest to the greatness that is the NGA. What a great institution that is completely free to the public:)