Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

7.23.2009

Artists' Palettes: Karen Revis

Karen Revis earned her BFA in Painting with a minor in Art Education from the Corcoran School of the Arts. She also studied at Pratt Institute and she is known for mixed-media paintings that might be described as windows through which the viewer may escape. But silkscreen prints interest Karen, too.

I was excited that the pictures she sent me of her paints and work space incorporate tools related to printmaking because I think there is still a lot of confusion about what artists' prints are. The majority of prints I tend to show on this blog are handmade by the artist in his or her studio. Some artists carve an image into woodblocks or linoleum tiles and then print on paper; others use the screenprinting method. (A tip: when designer Angie Hranowsky buys a print, she asks the artist to sign and date it.)

Shown above is the corner of Karen's studio table with her color chart, printmaking screen, a few of her own paintings used for reference and various pictures tacked on her walls for inspiration.

This is her studio table in pristine order before she begins working.

Details of her paints -- she prefers to keep them in order by color.

Various tools and white paper bowls used for mixing paint.

Freshly mixed printmaking medium.

A variety of experimental drawings on small pieces of Plexiglas which Karen keeps for reference.

A recent print, "Indigo Circles". BTW: Karen's work is in numerous public collections including The Metropolitan Club, Boston, Massachusetts.

8 comments:

Mrs. Blandings said...

It was great to see this studio up close and get a glimpse of her creative process.

Karena said...

I would love to take a class from Karen as I have never done printmaking. All of my work is in original oils , a few acrylics. I think this process would be a great learning experience. Do you know if she teaches?

Style Court said...

Hi Karena -- I'll ask.

Style Court said...

Not currently teaching.

beachbungalow8 said...

I'm having a hard time not focusing on how NEAT her studio is! her work is beautiful but I'm so impressed that with her tidiness through the process.

creativewisdom said...

just discovered your blog and i am in love! :D great article as well! Karen's work is wonderful. im officially a fan!

Style Court said...

CW -- thanks for stopping by!

Michelle said...

I love this palette series...at the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam, they exhibit a couple of his oil palettes...I couldn't beleive what I was looking at! These were the colours he actually mixed...

Best,
Michelle