Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

7.17.2009

Artists' Palettes: Heather Young

Savannah artist Heather Leigh Young has a lucky paint cup that has been with her for twelve years. "It just can’t be replaced," she says, "The layers of colors remind me of projects from years gone by, and in some ways it’s a security blanket for me when I paint."

"My palette is actually quite simple," she continues, "I prefer aluminum foil on a paper plate. I like the reflective quality for paint mixing, and it’s super-easy to set up and clean up. It’s most handy on those days when I need to save a bit of my paint for the next day. I just cover the palette with more foil and place it in the refrigerator overnight."

"Lastly, I’m pretty loyal to my oil-wash brushes. I have three that came from a dollar store years ago. They have gnarly bristles and years of oil paint washes collected on them, but they give my work a nice texture that a new brush can’t duplicate."

Click here to learn more about this magna cum laude SCAD graduate.

5 comments:

La Maison Fou said...

Thats so interesting, I guess we all have our things, I have a black canvas messenger bag that I tote everywhere on consults, jobs, & anytime I am meeting or working on a project. It has had glazes spilled in the bottom, been painted, dripped & splotched on, & it remains my constant companion!
Funny, I thought I was the only one who could not let an ol sidekick go!
Leslie

Alicia said...

I just love the color of the paints in & on the cup. I'll be spending a long weekend in Savannah when I'm in Charleston, this August. Im having a devil of a time finding a great hotel. I wanted to do a B&b but since Hailey's only 8 none will take us. Ironically this is a girl who grew up travelling the antique markrts with me & helping out in the boutique. Blasted!! If you have any hints, I'd be grateful.

Style Court said...

I'll get on it Alicia!

flyoungstudio said...

Thanks for the write-up! I've really enjoyed reading through this series...I guess we all have our quirks when it comes to creativity.

Alicia, I'll see if I can't conjure up some place around town for you.

Karena said...

Love the creative minds at work! We do all have our palette techniques and working equip we love.