Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

7.26.2009

Artists' Palettes: Anne Harwell

Because she painted my blog logo, the work of self-taught Florida-based artist Anne Harwell (aka Annechovie) appears here everyday. During the past few years her charming approach to painting chairs, houses, and color-filled interiors has caught the eye of shelter mag editors and the Daily Candy team.

She is often inspired by the watercolors of the late Mark Hampton, and like Mr. Hampton, Anne has a reputation for being a kind and generous friend. Case in point: she paused from a busy day to snap these pictures for us. Shown above is her palette, paint-soaked blotter, and an array of supplies.

It seems that a "lucky glass" is not uncommon. Just as Heather Leigh Young has her 12-year-old paint cup, Anne has a "trusty old Wilkin & Son jam jar used to hold water and brushes for the last 10 years."


Click here for more about Wilkin & Son preserves.

20 comments:

Ivy Lane said...

Thank you for sharing this! What a special "glimpse" of Anne and her awesome talent!!!

Ivy Lane said...

Thank you for sharing this! What a special "glimpse" of Anne and her awesome talent!!!

A Gift Wrapped Life said...

We love to see anything Anne does, even her palette!

Karena said...

I love Anne's Art. I have your chair framed on my den bookshelf Courtney! I also love her scalloped notepads.

pve design said...

Oh how sweet. I have a new jam jar waiting to be my paint cup. I love jars. Anne's palette looks so sweet too.
pve

Karen said...

So glad you included Anne in your series. Her work always brings a smile to my face.

The Consummate Hostess said...

What a fun post! The jar is such a charming and personal touch, love it.

Blushing hostess said...

Beautiful, not surprising - very much the reflection of her lovely work. But the light into the lives of artists like Annechovie is a wonderful, original concept and i thank you for this series.

Style Court said...

Everyone -- I truly appreciate your positive reaction to the series!

Laura [What I Like] said...

I like this woman already...Damson plum preserves are my favorite!

K @ Blog Goggles said...

I love her work! Those colors... absolutely gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Ah, Damson preserves! I buy these even though they are pricey - my grandmother (I was a child of the 40's and 50's)would buy the Damson plums from the store and can them herself - they were quite tart but on a hot English muffin? What a treat!

annechovie said...

Thank you for the very nice post, Courtney, and thanks to everyone for the kind and supportive comments. I truly appreciate each of them!

home before dark said...

Have loved this series. I wonder what all of the palettes would look like in a grid? You know, like the posters of doors. Always like to peep into others' creative worlds.

Ivory Pearl Interiors said...

Anne's palette is everything we can see? I want to see some beautiful paintings!

Style Court said...

IPI --

Just follow the links (Anne's name) in the first part of this post. Loads of pretty things to see.

Ideezine said...

Aw sharing those trade secrets. How fun! How lucky we are to have a post like this too.

Bette

Janet said...

I love how delicate and watery Anne's colors are.

Michelle said...

Agreed, Anne's work is so amazing! And very nice as well! She was one of my first blog visits...I was stunned!

Alicia said...

Anne is such a wonderful woman & artist. I still can't choose a piece of hers but I will soon.