Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

7.30.2009

Art Appreciation

[The September 2009 issue of House Beautiful features several homes with terrific displays of art. In Windsor Smith's "Pink Room" she really mixes it up, adding more eclectic groupings than we've seen her do in the past. It's a must see. Shown here, one sneak peek detail from Victoria Pearson's gorgeous photographs.]

One of my professors used to enjoy asking abstract questions, like, "If someone paints a picture and no one else ever sees it, is it art?"

I don't think everyone will ever agree on the answer, but personally I'm always fascinated by kids' and teens' responses. In May, the Gumtree Museum of Art in downtown Tupelo, Mississippi presented a scholarship competition for teen students based upon a portfolio presentation and a two page written essay. The Senior Scholarship winners were Abby Nichols and Kirstie Manning. I really like what both had to say about the meaning of art, so I'm sharing a short excerpt (via Gumtree's site) below. Click here for more on all the winners.


Pop Art Self-Portrait Series by Abby Nichols

Sometimes people ask me why I love art. Well, I say, art is everything and anything I need it to be. It can be an escape from reality. It can make sense of reality. Art can be calming when I’m upset, and a way to release my frustration. It can help me think clearly or keep me from thinking at all. Sometimes I paint for a purpose, and other times I paint just to paint.

-- Abby Nichols

[Above, Ruthie Sommers' outdoor studio photographed by Melanie Acevedo for the premiere issue of domino.]

14 comments:

Laura Caey Interiors said...

I love the combinations of colors, fabrics and textures in that pink room.

Style Court said...

Laura -- I think the house is destined to become one of those most-blogged! It's just magical. Really a beautiful spread.

highglossblue.blogspot said...

Love the pink! Looks very sophisticated and elegant-on the other side of pink, have been gathering pictures from 2003 movie Down With Love, pink Saarinen Womb chairs can't be beat for kitsch!

Style Court said...

HGB -- that movie did have such striking sets.

C said...

I suppose art can be compared to music can't it? The great composers wrote music for themselves simply because they had to, as much as it was for others to appreciate later. So I guess I think Yes! Thats my un-academically researched answer at least...

Style Court said...

C -- I think that makes sense!

Grant K. Gibson said...

I love the pink wall.
There you people on the other coast get to see magazines weeks before us all out here in California!
So lucky! But I love the small tease of the pink- now I will wait for the mail everyday!

Style Court said...

Grant it's a super issue!

Cote de Texas said...

I'm dying - I want to see that house sooooo badly - this is pure tortue Courtney and really unfair of you to tease me like this! haha!!!! OMG - this just looks magical!!!!!!!! You know who is going to love it - your friend down under.

Style Court said...

Joni, I'm mailing her the issue ASAP. You'll love Windsor's house, I know.

Karena said...

Okay now what room can I possibly paint pink! Love it...

flyoungstudio said...

Oh that pink is fabulous! Abby's quote is spot on.

City Living Girl said...

LOVE the pink. Can't wait to see the issue and what a quote...I agree completely.

Mrs. Blandings said...

Thank heavens my sister-in-law's copy came before she left D.C. This room is one for the files for sure. That chair!