Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

6.18.2009

Wall of the Day

Atlanta-based interior designer Mallory Mathison has had a busy year. Recently she wrapped up work on Southern Living's Hemlock Springs Idea House which is open to the public through October 18, 2009.

I thought it would be fun to take a look back at Mallory's very personal salon-style wall of art. (It's always intriguing to see what designers do in their own homes.) Notice that the frames do not all "match," but rather harmonize? I think this really suggests a collection that evolved over time instead of something put together in a day. And the frames and mats seem to have been chosen to best highlight the art, not to decorate the room.

Interestingly, Mallory used many dark frames against Farrow and Ball's "Mahogany" paint in full oil gloss to achieve a sort of faux lacquer effect. She notes that this isn't the same as professionally lacquered walls, but she was able to get the look she desired at a fraction of the cost.

Pictures courtesy the designer.

12 comments:

Karena said...

I am loving these walls of art. I haven't done this yet and I think it is a fabulous way to display works collected over the years.

home before dark said...

Love this. I also agree that when you honor the art by framing it to is best potential, it honors you right back with double the beauty. I chose harmony over matchy-matchy any day. And the dark wall is stunning.

Jennifer said...

love her work -- largely thanks to your introduction -- and cannot wait to see what she does in Accents house!

Jennifer said...

oh, I misread. Southern Living will be great, too.

Ideezine said...

Great wall in home. I love these gallery walls and have done many for my clients as well as myself.

If you'd like to try a wall yourself I ran into a great system that helps you do just that. It's called The Perfect Picture Wall

www.thepicturewallcompany.com/

All in one system includes Pictures Frames. It's really great for individuals who need just a little help and want to complete a picture project...motivating!

Bette

Sanity Fair said...

I love the way she's harmonized the netural pictures/sketches/images as well. I've been thinking about trying something similar to this, and I really like the final effect.

Southern Aspirations said...

What a great compilation wall. I think too that the effect would not have been the same on a lighter wall. Stunning. Must check out her SL design home...

The Peak of Chic said...

I love the gallery grouping against those gorgeous, shiny dark brown walls.

Nadine @ BDG said...

The dark walls with the dark frames looks very chic.

Brillante Home Decor said...

I love salon style hanging of pictures and you are right, so great to see a collection growing over time and to treat art on its own instead of (horror!) try to match art and home decoration.

Cote de Texas said...

I have loved this bedroom from the first time i saw it. the dark walls and that toile are just gorgeous together - wish we could see the ceiling color good - it's lighter according to her web site.

The Antiques Diva™ said...

Great tip on using Farrow and Ball's "Mahogany" paint in full oil gloss to mimic the lacquered effect!