Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

6.08.2009

Trying it Out


I've only had a few minutes to play around with the new iPhone app from Benjamin Moore, ben® Color Capture™, but so far it's really fun.

This is the first photo I tried -- a tight view of Peter Dunham's "Fig Leaf." Basically I just tapped my finger on various points of the leaves, as well as the beads I had placed on the upholstered bench, and Ben provided a range of potentially coordinating paint chips.


A word of caution: the chips look less accurate here on my computer screen than they do on my iPhone. I think the idea is to use the app-generated samples as a jumping off point. In person the recommended classic "Palladian Blue" does indeed work well with "Fig Leaf." But the view you may be seeing on this blog is a bit faded.

I also snapped an image of David Douglas Duncan's Goodbye Picasso which is bound with jute dyed to match the background color found in a Picasso portrait, shown below.

Based on how the bookcloth appeared on the iPhone, Ben suggested a good match: Vermilion.


Pictures of Turq's multi-toned Ann Whitten necklace brought up colors ranging from "Courtyard Green" (the edges of the Czech glass) to a host of lovely blue-greens.

12 comments:

Cristin said...

Fun iPhone app. I will need to download it. Thanks!

http://simplifiedbee.blogspot.com/

Lynne Rutter said...

i have been having fun playing with this but i do find the color choice isn't very accurate and i doubt it will take the place of a large format fan deck. but it might save some time by helping me in coming up with palettes.

Style Court said...

I'm finding the "Ben" suggestions to be great matches with the photo on my screen. I guess the issue will be how accurate is the camera :)

But again, a really fun jumping off point. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Janet said...

Oh, what fun! Now, I just need to get an iPhone...

Anonymous said...

I know Sherwin Williams paint doesn't have the loving devotion that Benjamin Moore paints have, but the SW app is much more accurate...and it's been around for much longer. I've been waiting for the BM app to test and compare the two. Neither was dead-on, but neither claims their app can do that. SW's, though, was very, very close. I used SW and BM paint fanbooks to check the results against the original.

Emily Evans Eerdmans said...

I'm going to start calling it/him "Ben" too....

Lisa Borgnes Giramonti said...

Courtney, one of the showrooms at Hollywood at Home is hung with floor-to-ceiling "Fig Leaf" curtains and the walls behind it are painted...wait for it...BM's "Palladian Blue"! (I know this because my friend asked about it.) So even if the app doesn't exactly capture the color, it certainly gives excellent advice!

FYI, I just ordered 12 yds of it for my office. Can't wait...

Style Court said...

Lisa --

First, I'm coveting your office!

Second, learning about the wall color at H at H makes me extremely happy. That's my bedroom wall color, too!

Thank you.

Mrs. Blandings said...

Like a kid in a candy shop - can't wait to see what you're matching next.

The Changing Look of Friends said...

I have played around with the SW app but I use BM Paints so I will be trying Ben's. This is great fun even if it isn't spot on. I love seeing what it comes up with.

Karen said...

I love "Palladian Blue." I used it on our porch ceilings after Suzanne Rheinstein said it's one of her favorite colors for that application.

Style Court said...

Karen, that sounds so cool and inviting!