Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

6.14.2009

Term of the Day: Gelatin Monotype



Last weekend I bought a gelatin monotype from Maryland-based printmaker Amanda Gordon Miller. As I understand it, her newest baby is due in any day now so I was extremely surprised and delighted to find the print along with a handwritten note in my mailbox only 48 hours after making the purchase.

I guess "monotype" is self-explanatory -- it means one of a kind. Jello is essentially her printing surface. Instead, for example, of using a carved block of wood or a piece of cut linoleum to make a print, Amanda uses unflavored edible gelatin to create a firm "plate."

In an article she wrote a few years ago, Amanda explains that she became interested in the technique while exploring low-tech, non-toxic methods that could be achieved in a small apartment without a printing press. Basically she designs and cuts her stencils, rolls professional-quality, water-based inks—Akua Kolor, which contain honey, and Akua Intaglio, which contain soybean oil—onto her gelatin plate, arranges the stencils, and then prints. She likes the painterly results that gelatin yields, and how conducive it is to building up layers. If you're curious to do some experimenting of your own, her article contains very clear, helpful steps to follow.

Amanda Gordon Miller earned both her BA in Painting and her MA in Museum Studies from Syracuse University. All images above via the artist.

13 comments:

Alicia said...

Superb, stellar a watery delight!!!
I love learning new techniques & meeting new artists. Grande gratitudes!!!

Cristin said...

looks like fun! can't wait to see what you create.

cristin
http://simplifiedbee.blogspot.com/

Haven and Home said...

Very Cool.

Sophie @ Century Finds said...

I love this. And it occurs to me it could be a great activity with children too. Which is the only time I get to "create" anything these days!

Karena said...

Beautiful! I would love to do this. It might just be a weekend project!

Mrs. Blandings said...

I had to go back and re-read - I couldn't figure out how you picked up the gelatin. Duh. You are making some terrific purchases.

Crazy fir French furniture said...

The fact that it's low-tech and non-toxic is a very appealing thing!

Sanity Fair said...

I have NEVER heard of this - I'm still trying to wrap my mind around how it works! The results are beautiful - so organic.

Mademoiselle Frou-Frou said...

ooh those are so pretty!

btw, i did a bedroom makeover post on my blog today that you might enjoy...check it out at:
http://www.froufroufashionista.blogspot.com/

xox

Chic Coles (Cole Design) said...

What a fun invention! That looks really cool! Can't wait to see what you create!

Paul Pincus said...

i love this, courtney. it's a beauty.

ps i also fell in LOVE with the green kitchen in the current hb. the sub-zero painted green!?!? i can't stop thinking about that kitchen/space : )

Style Court said...

Paul - I know!! The brilliant green blew me away :)

Amanda Stone Talley said...

Thats so interesting! I almost got a second degree in printmaking and I've never tried that. Thank you for the inspiration and the how-to.