Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

6.16.2009

On the Hunt

Last November Mrs. Blandings shared with the blogosphere the enduring charm of J. W. Fiske iron and zinc dogs, urns, and other garden ornament. Ever since then I've paid closer attention to timeless versions of "garden dogs" and paused just the other day to look at a cast stone pup from Campania International sitting in a local nursery.

On my way out of Providence Antiques, I caught a quick glimpse of a dog similar to the breed shown above in Karen Carroll's Entertaining with Southern Style (Bullfinch, 2000). If you're in the Atlanta area and have been searching for a while, you might want to pop in. There's an iron garden bench awaiting a new home, too.

Marsh Garden Decor has a small vintage cast cement fawn with orignal paint.

Image one at the top courtesy
Mrs. Blandings.

8 comments:

Terry said...

It is so great to have Providence around the corner. It makes the whole neighborhood look better. I asked once if they documented their windows. They didn't understand. We need a picture of every window they "do" from now on. I regret we don't have a history. Their Victorian portraits for Halloween still make me laugh.

Style Court said...

Terry, I agree. There should be a scrapbook of the windows.

Lara Harris said...

Those have to be the best sculpture dogs I have ever seen!True works of art!

La Maison Fou said...

There is a resin sitting dog at Ballard designs, not concrete of course but sitting pretty! And on sale as well.
L

Mrs. Blandings said...

Court - thanks for the mention. Another spot on State Line has a gorgeous whippet - and I had no camera!

The Peak of Chic said...

And the beauty of them is that you don't have to walk them or worry about housebreaking!

Lauren said...

My name is Lauren. I work at Detroit Garden Works and the owner Deborah Silver and I are big fans of your blog. This post particularity struck a cord with us because we carry and custom make garden sculptures, dogs being one of our most popular. Deborah Silver has an interesting garden blog of her own in which she recently wrote an article on garden sculpture that featured a few of our dogs. I just wanted to refer you to our website as well as her blog because I think you will find it inspiring and uniquely fascinating. In addition to the sculptures, Deborah has painted a collection of Auricula watercolors that may strike your fancy as well.

www.detroitgardenworks.com
www.deborahsilver.com/blog

monkeyandsquirrel said...

what lovely goodies here! i'm a cast iron hunter myself...