Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

6.19.2009

It's the Little Things

What's the old expression? Children learn from what you do, not what you say? I don't remember my parents ever telling me to offer the UPS man a to-go cup of ice on a steamy June day, or to ask a mason toiling in the hot sun if he would care for a Coke, but I've seen them do it year after year and now I try never to forget to do the same.

It's funny how few people do this even though in theory kitchens are sleeker and more efficient than ever before. Sometimes it's all about the gesture. As an appreciative FedEx driver recently explained to my mom, bathroom breaks are a challenge on her route, so she has to decline a glass of water, but from now on Mom's packages are placed at the door a little more carefully than her neighbor's.

Photo above by Simon Upton, design by Miles Redd. Note the art in the kitchen! Elle Decor, November 2006.

Ice bucket available at Pieces.

13 comments:

Mrs. Blandings said...

A great reminder - we always offer our UPS guy popcicles; he seldom refuses!

La Maison Fou said...

Yes, do what I do not what I say..
It is funny what we take and what we do not take from our parents. Espescially if we have siblings, we can all be raised in the same home with the same values and everyones lives will be lived with differences & the values different! By the weay, love the kitchen!
L

Lisa Borgnes Giramonti said...

Such a lovely post about the boons of thoughtfulness for both the recipient and the giver.

And I love Mrs. Blandings idea...will be getting some popsicles for my sweet UPS guy today!

Style Court said...

I think the popsicle idea is brilliant!

The Peak of Chic said...

Courtney, so true. A small gesture can mean so much to people. And when someone does something nice for you, aren't you happy all day long??!!

Style Court said...

Jennifer -- Yes!

An Aesthete's Lament said...

I am definitely going to remember this in future. What nice gestures!

Linda at Lime in the Coconut! said...

...and popsicles?! Perfect!

Great post!

Karen said...

What a great reminder that small acts of kindness make all the difference. Now I wish I was actually home once in a while when the UPS driver makes his rounds.

Linda/"Mom" said...

* G' morning!!!

"Living in the DESERT means N*E*V*E*R having to say I'M THIRSTY!"... (at least not at OUR house!)~

My husband thinks I go OVERBOARD, JUST BECAUSE I practically "pack a full lunch" for anyone who will be working outside at our home. (But even those working INside get "special treatment"... you don't MESS with dehydration here!)...

I LOVE taking care of people, and "paying it forward" is a great way to enjoy life~~~ NOW!!!

I/we "do" the "fresh fruits & cold bottled water" route for folks 'round here. I smile at "popsicles", as altho most of us ADORE them, they wouldn't last two seconds in the summer months around here!~~~

This all harks to how we like to live~~~ "Being good is its own reward", isn't it?!?!

Bless you, kiddo!
Linda in AZ *

home before dark said...

Loved the popsicle idea!

Alicia said...

Like Linda, I'm here in the good ole desert & always I make sure anyone knows ice water & a bathroom are at their disposal.
I think many people forget that UPS, USPS & all the other trades we rely on as well as people first & deserved to be treated so. Brav for your post & all the kindenss given by posters too!!!!

PaperCourt said...

Great idea!