Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

6.10.2009

Different Strokes

For my birthday I received an unframed Andrew Bucci. Initially I just assumed that I would put it in a delicate gilt frame -- maybe something with tones similar to what Gerrie Bremermann chose for hers.

But exceptional water-gilded frames can be very expensive. And the salon-style wall I'm assembling is less formal, in keeping I hope with Peter Dunham's look.

Other small paintings that will be part of my grouping include this black-wood framed piece by Amanda Talley.

The golden rule in framing says the art must always be the star; mats and frames shouldn't detract from the picture. After that, as gallery owner Emily Amy told us in January, "...frames are works of art in themselves. If you need to add a frame to a painting, you can really add a touch of your own personality and taste to the piece."

My Bucci happens to be an abstract of something very outdoors-y and natural, so I took my cues from the branches. I picked up the earthy, neutral tones with a simple stained wood frame and coffee-hued double mat. This allows the soft blues and greens of the painting to pop forward, rather than fade into the wall. (I did opt for the most expensive grade of archival glass.)

There are myriad options when it comes to frames, and I still don't think natural, stained or painted wood works with everything of course, but at times it can be an alternative to a less than stellar gilt molding.

As a post script, I always thought the framed botanicals above were interesting; feminine subject matter with strong black frames. It works. Interior design by Suzanne Rheinstein, House Beautiful, May 2002.

This a tiny image cropped from a New York Social Diary photo of Miles Redd's living room. Perhaps you can make out the work on paper with brown mat.

14 comments:

Karen said...

What a fabulous birthday present! Please share a photograph of your salon wall when you've finished hanging.

Style Court said...

Hi Karen, it was! Hopefully soon I can share a picture. Maybe in 3 weeks.

Karena said...

So true, the framing is an art in itself and completes it when needed. There are so many beautiful frames, even the gold and silver that is not water gilded and is less expensive. There is a Zen line from Larson Juhl that I love to use with contemporary art.

Ideezine said...

I think the fact that you took your clues from nature to assist your decision on the frame was excellent. Glass considerations will never let you down and ensure your piece will last.

Be careful with the yearl round temperature in the room that you place this art work in. What a great gift.

Bette

Paul Pincus said...

it's lovely!

La Maison Fou said...

You are so right ... frames are the accessories to the piece. They should enhance the piece and not distract from it! Love the BD present.
Leslie

pve design said...

What a sweet b-day gift. I love it!

Style Court said...

I'm glad you like it Leslie!

Alicia said...

Great present but thanks for the intro to Amanda!!!! I'm going to get my parents a piece for their anniversary. Plus being a green freak I may need to get a piece for myself. Love yours!!!

Style Court said...

Paul, Alicia, Patricia VE,

Thanks as always!

Amanda Stone Talley said...

I can't wait until you get your wall finished and post a picture!
A

Stacy said...

Can't wait to take a peek at your project!

The Peak of Chic said...

C- You've got a great eye for art! I love your pieces, and can't wait the see the entire grouping! I know it will look great. (And I agree with you 100% about the framing!)

Style Court said...

Oh gosh, thanks Jennifer!