Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

6.12.2009

Art of the Steal

Emily Amy Gallery invites art lovers to hear Atlanta native Spalding Nix, Associate of the American Society of Appraisers, and proprietor of Spalding Nix Fine Art & Antiques, speak about art theft at 1 p.m. on Saturday June 20th. According to Nix, this criminal enterprise has become a global multi-billion dollar industry, third only to drug and arms trafficking. To convey his point, he will use international case studies of high profile heists with a cast of players including vicious mobsters, extremists, playboys and small time hoods. Contact EAG for details or to RSVP.

9 comments:

La Maison Fou said...

Oooh this sounds like a great event, I would love to hear this one! I am sure it would be great!
Have a good weekend,
leslie

Style Court said...

Hi Leslie -- I think it should be great and Emily has other cool events this month too. Happy Friday!

C said...

Nix will have Tuesday's latest theft to talk about! Not one of the most audacious, still the red notebook containing Picasso's pencil sketches stolen from the Paris Picasso museum [worth about $11 million] is certainly interesting.

French furniture crazy said...

Third only to drug and arms trafficking? I am amazed! I didn't realise it was so huge!

Style Court said...

It is intriguing. It will be interesting to hear Nix expand on those stats.

Pigtown-Design said...

THere's a great book about art theft, but of course, I can't remember the name. My mother's reading it, and I will get it after she's finished.

Karena said...

Meg, let us know the name of the book. I would love to hear this lecture! Stories like these are so fascinating.

Ideezine said...

I guess there is an art to just about anything. What a fasinating topic and great blog post too.

Bette

Sanity Fair said...

What an interesting lecture. I remember seeing a really intriguing documentary about the theft of the Mona Lisa (and later recovery). It's a sad subject too - many pieces have never been returned.