Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

6.16.2009

Afterthoughts

Photography is an incredibly popular medium in the U.S. but I think for people with rooms that skew toward the traditional it's still a little intimidating. Maybe in the past it seemed that photography best complimented sleek modern interiors, or should only be hung on gallery-white walls, or in a chic home office, or as part of a grouping. Color pictures, as opposed to black-and-white, raised more questions.

Last night I remembered this vignette from Ruthie Sommers. Perhaps it will inspire someone who flipped for Julia Lynn's photography.

I also want to quickly say thanks to Cole Pratt Gallery for uploading even more of the prolific Mississippi-born artist Andrew Bucci's mid-century studies of people. Most of the works are oil on paper, and you may remember that in March Gallery director, Erika Olinger, said the 1950s and 60s were the heyday for that style of Bucci's work. Later he became known for his abstracted paintings and drawings.


Images one and two courtesy Ruthie Sommers. Images three and four courtesy Julia Lynn. All other art courtesy Cole Pratt Gallery.

I've talked about the salon-style wall below ad nauseam but haven't really emphasized the mix of diverse mediums. See if you can spot some fine color photography amongst the paintings and other works on paper.


Interior design by Kristen Buckingham. Photography by Simon Upton as seen in the March 2009 Elle Decor.


To go directly to Bucci's portfolio, click here.

16 comments:

Southern Aspirations said...

As always, thanks for the introduction to new artists.
Photography- interesting to ponder. I have the family and friends photographs- but otherwise, it's generally black and whites of architectural details. Funny because photography is one of my favorite mediums, but sometimes I feel like I should have paintings- that kind of art- instead.

Oh- checked out the Supper Club last night at the Livingston and of course had to do a post about it.

Style Court said...

SA -- oh good, so glad you were able to go!

Little Chirps said...

Lovely!

Also, I wanted to let you know that you have been awarded the "One Lovely Blog Award"!

You can go to http://www.littlechirps.blogspot.com to view the award and the details. Then, pass it along to 15 other lovely blogs as you keep it going! Congrats on your lovely blog!! Heidi

Style Court said...

Thanks so much Holly.

Clarity said...

I followed the crumbs from Lisa's A Bloomsbury Life.

Picture 3 drew me in particularly. Riveting and mysterious, I wish to explore it.

shoppingsmycardio said...

every time you showcase andrew bucci, i swoon all over again...i just can NOT get enough of his work. so beautiful!

Ideezine said...

Art speaks louder that words and does such a great job as a finishing touch to any room.

Great post!

Bette

Brillante Home Decor said...

As a passionate photographer I believe that photography, as a fine art, could be for any house a great addition. B&W traditional or punchy colours. Since I write posts mostly on Italian design you can see there many examples of great photography even in contemporary places.
We just need to buy what we love.

Sanity Fair said...

Very interesting point about color photography/traditional decor. I recently blogged about Atlanta artist Elizabeth Stockton, and I think her artwork is a bridge between the two... paintings with a photographic bent. http://sfair.blogspot.com/2009/05/artist-gallery-elizabeth-stockton.html
Perhaps a good fit for a traditional home.

Alicia said...

Over & over I return to Julias site. Her low country series stirs me so. I just had to thank you again for introducing me to her.

Mrs. Blandings said...

Courtney - I hadn't really thought about it before, but I do think color photography is a little more intimidating. This vignette is great inspiration.

Red River Interiors: said...

I absolutely love photography...only wish I had time to study it....love the color burst in the Chinese chest setting... Fay

Style Court said...

Alicia -- my pleasure!

La Maison Fou said...

I always enjoy your pieces on art!
Leslie

Style Court said...

Thanks Leslie. Appreciate that.

Vicky said...

Those Bucci studies are so beautiful! Thanks for sharing!