Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

5.28.2009

Summer Reading (and an Art Project)


If reading Susan Sully's three wishes made you want to explore more of the books she has written, but you are trying to cut back on monthly spending, consider visiting your local public library this weekend. I was surprised to find many of her titles in the Atlanta system.

Wouldn't it be great to live within walking distance of a library as elegant as the Bull Street Branch, shown at top? It's one of the Live Oak Public Libraries in Savannah. Neoclassical in style, this branch was designed by architect H. W. Witcover and funded with a Carnegie grant. The doors opened to the public in 1916. (Photo via C. McGough on Flickr.)

Related reading: Carnegie Libraries. (Image above belongs to the Library of Congress, LC J694-353A.)

And a reminder for Atlanta residents: Just three days remain to donate gently used art supplies to Binders. The art supply store will distribute tubes of paint, canvas, paper, easels, brushes, pens, and frames to local charities. As a thank-you for dropping off supplies at the brick and mortar location, shoppers receive 50 percent off one new item. (Image above via Selvedge issue 28; a vignette shot at Charleston Farmhouse.)

9 comments:

Karena said...

I love using the library. They are expanding The Leawood Pioneer Branch.

Style Court said...

Karena, I guess many people are appreciating the library even more these days!

pve design said...

I love to go to the Library - there is a remarkable woman there who is 90, she is an inspiration!

Style Court said...

Wow, 90. A librarian? How cool.

Stacy McCallum said...

What a great Library! I would love to take my kids to story time at a place like that!

Style Court said...

Stacy -- you would probably get loads of inspiration :)

French furniture said...

I love libraries too. I love the smell of old books. Libraries are quiet and it's easy to get inspiration there.

Mrs. Blandings said...

I flipped through Southern Cosmopolitan a few days ago and I do think I need it. Southern Cottage, too, I bet. Fortunately it's summer so the children don't need shoes.

Karen said...

The Savannah library looks just like a library should -- distinguished and classic.