Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

5.28.2009

Clearly Written


I've gone back and edited a brief reference to typed correspondence in the post about summer mail. That post was supposed to deal with good old fashioned newsy letters to close friends and relatives, not proper thank-you notes. It probably goes without saying that handwriting is preferable for all forms of social correspondence. I think the Vogue editors were trying to make the point that graciousness is first and foremost about consideration for others. Perhaps your 93-year-old grandmother can no longer read your handwriting; maybe you have a broken hand (or more serious physical challenge). So there are instances when simply writing (whether with a pen or by pecking away with one finger at a key board) is more important than form.

The calligraphy above was done by Betty Gilpin of Nashville, Tennessee as seen on Belle Decor. The waxed banana leaf envelope is available at Soolip.

Update: 5.31.09
This post generated some talk of calligraphy, so I though you might enjoy exploring Maybelle's lovely site. Born on Guam and raised in Hawaii, Maybelle has collaborated with Chronicle Books on The Perfect Note: Tools, Tips & Inspiration for Keeping in Touch. Photo credit above: Lisa Lefkowitz.

10 comments:

pve design said...

I learned calligraphy and used to take the task of hand calligraphing social events. There was a certain meditative quality and seeing all the far away places my work would travel to, made me smile.
I took great pride in doing my own wedding too.
I did the envelopes over time. I still love calligraphy and handwriting.

Style Court said...

Patricia VE -- it doesn't surprise me that you are also a calligraphy artist! You are so talented, energetic and always hands on!

Pigtown-Design said...

I learned to calligraphy before I learned to type. It wasn't much help when I got to college!

Style Court said...

Meg -- I can see you doing that, too. I tried it briefly but didn't go far with it. I'm sure yours was beautiful.

Zelda said...

Is this real hand writing???

Style Court said...

It's calligraphy. A type of handwriting. Just used as an elegant visual here, I hope.

Southern Aspirations said...

Oh Meg and Patricia I am once again envious. I learned calligraphy (sort of) in Art class but literally had to stay in class late too often to finish projects without errors. I desperately need to improve my penmanship though! After all, what good is fabulous stationery with lousy penmanship?

Brillante Home Decor said...

My mother had the most beautiful calligraphy and constantly wrote memories, letters, notes. It was a pleasure receiving them. She also used to draw some objects (she loved to paint all her life) instead of words. Her letters showed style, humour and respect for the reader.

Found said...

courtney, have you ever seen maybelle's work? she did our wedding invitations and i am so in love with her style. perfectly imperfect.
http://www.may-belle.com/portfolio4.html

Style Court said...

Oh, I'll have to check it out :)