Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

4.29.2009

The Peony Report

For locals, I just inquired about the expected peony shipment at the Whole Foods on West Paces Ferry Road. None are in yet, but the staff is hopeful the flowers will be in next week. Some of you may remember the tree peonies planted by historian William Howard Adams at his Shenandoah Valley house, Hazelfield. He was inspired by Beijing's Summer Palace. Click here to see more. Photography above by Lisa Hubbard for Southern Accents, March-April 2006.

Photo above cropped from an Elle Decor story, June-July 2000, about the Michael Smith-designed home of fashion designer Mossimo Giannulli and his wife, actress Lori Laughlin.

No peonies above, just the beautiful gardenia in Grace's hair. I think these images have already been seen around the world -- I couldn't resist posting them here, though. Look for her Savannah wedding in an upcoming issue of Martha Stewart Weddings. For something similar, take a look back at Amy's wedding.

To learn about growing peonies, read Dawn Cannon's story.

And if you've not yet seen it, surf over to Blushing Hostess' amazing post.

17 comments:

Laura said...

Definitely something to look forward to, and sounds like just in time for Mother's Day!

La Maison Fou said...

Love Peonies..especially the double blooms!
Leslie

Mrs. Blandings said...

There's nearly no better day than the day the peonies arrive. I'm stalking (not staking) mine.

An Aesthete's Lament said...

I love peonies more than almost any other flower.

Style Court said...

Me too Aesthete.

Topsy Turvy said...

You can't get much better than peonies!

–Lana

Mimi said...

Love peonies...Sarah Berhardt peony is my absolute favorite. It's the perfect pink!
Mimi

Habitually Chic said...

I was just wondering if there were any peonies for sale yet. I did spot some lilacs finally. I am definitely going to be buying myself some flowers this week!

A Gift Wrapped Life said...

My three peonny bushes are pushing out and up quick....so that rain for the last few weeks does have some benefit. My favorite flower.

Renae said...

I do like peonies...I need to add them to my faves including sunflowers, tulips and hydrangeas! I may have to plant some!

Blushing hostess said...

I adore them - just did a huge post on them, I am so ready for them to appear!

Things That Inspire said...

Please let us know when the peonies arrive at Whole Foods! That is really to 'go to' place for great flowers in Buckhead, isn't it?

Style Court said...

TTI -- yes, it is!

Blushing hostess said...

You are too kind.

from the right bank said...

I adore peonies so I planted some this fall and much to my surprise, they're starting to make their appearance. I've never gardened before so it's ridiculous how excited I am(!)

my favorite and my best said...

the whole foods on ponce and on briarcliff have them in!! will be at the buckhead store this weekend. i'll let you know if they are there...that is unless you are there first!
xoj

Style Court said...

MFMB -- thank you so much!!

C