Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

4.26.2009

Giving: Coleen, Caitlin and Tyler

Over the weekend I finally caved and temporarily joined the Twitter party just so that I could enjoy behind-the-scenes peeks at Grace Bonney's Savannah wedding preparations. (If you checked in too, didn't her hair look great? Love gardenias.) It was fun to share her day in a small way. Her guest blogging for Martha Stewart Weddings these past few months has also been entertaining. I really related to Grace's fanciful line about how the movie-version of her everyday life includes a huge slush fund created to support her fresh flower addiction.

Why don't we get in the habit of giving friends homemade flower arrangements (or just one bloom) in a hand-picked vase to acknowledge a small triumph or a rough patch, or to celebrate a birthday? The Found girls, Caitlin and Tyler from San Francisco, do this. And Coleen Rider likes to collect things along the way -- small old porcelain urns, hand-painted cache pots -- and give those as gifts.

She says, "To be honest, I don't give handmade gifts unless I'm baking around the holidays."

But an object painted by someone else long ago, like the tiny circa 1930s Japanese urn shown at the top, can become an ideal present for one of Coleen's friends. "I picked it up when I was out and about shopping for the store. At four inches tall, it's just big enough for a single flower. This makes it perfect for the work desk or bedside and it only takes a minute to snip a bloom from the front yard. Buying antique and vintage for a friend or family member is difficult, but if you choose something that relates to the person in color or style, and make sure it's an item that doesn't have to be set out every day -- so they don't feel obligated to include it in their decor -- it will never fail to delight."

Caitlin and Tyler enjoy "rediscovering" pieces with interesting forms such as the small vintage green vase above. Then they pair flowers with the container. "We often make flower arrangements as tokens of affection for our nearest and dearest," says Tyler. Below are samples.


BTW: If you are a Chloe Warner fan, I think you will enjoy visiting Found.



Images one and three courtesy of Coleen Rider; All other vases above courtesy of Found San Francisco.


If you are looking for more inspiration, don't forget L.A.-based Lily Lodge. The 1920s glass vase above is a sample of their upscale recycling.

6 comments:

Karena said...

Yes, love Chloe Warners work! Very exciting about Grace, and I am so thrilled for her.

Clarity said...

I've avoided "Twitter" along with "FaceSpace ;)" Anonimity is a gift sometimes.

I've bought flora/vases for friends before and think the habit you describe is charming. For myself though, I prefer a more spare decore and know that adoration of a friend means I keep every well chosen gift, but... where would one put them?

Style Court said...

HI Clarity -- I live in tight quarters so, yes, storage is a huge issue, but I enjoy rotating vases so I try to keep a closet shelf for the ones I'm given or pick up myself. It's fun to bring them out later :)

Suzy said...

I've started to do this too. The recipients have all been delighted - who doesn't love to receive fresh flowers!?
Last week I had a coworker who was feeling a bit down, so I popped over to Goodwill, picked up a smokey gray Wedgewood decanter (for $6!) and dropped in a white lily. She really appreciated the gesture and now she has a decanter or vase to enjoy or pass along!

Style Court said...

Suzy -- I love it! That is just the type of thing I had in mind. Thanks for sharing!

Rose C'est La Vie said...

I absolutely love this post, thank you. A single flower in the perfect container.. that's an inspiration. It reminds me of an old boyfriend who presented with a scented flower head in an old screw-top jar! Magical simplicity.