Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

3.24.2009

A Self-Portrait

Last fall I mentioned that David Douglas Duncan's Goodbye Picasso is one of those special old volumes that can be found though a vintage book seller, like Paris Hotel Boutique, or, on a good day, at an Atlanta public library branch.


Today I know a little more about the book's cover. According to the Harry Ransom Center at The University of Texas at Austin, the jacket design is based on a photo-collage created using Picasso's self-portrait as an owl -- with holes for his eyes -- and a photograph by David Douglas Duncan.

Beneath the dust jacket, the original book was bound in jute from Bangladesh. This cloth was loomed in England and dyed to match the background color found in a Picasso portrait. The lilac of the title-ink color was also matched to a small bit of lilac seen in a beret in the portrait (found on page 140, if you have a copy).


Thanks for the images Paris Hotel Boutique!

11 comments:

Janet said...

I love esoteric things like this. So much thought goes into the construction of a book, and too often it is the untold story.

Style Court said...

Hi Janet -- I was afraid I might be the only one to find this interesting. I'm in love with that rough red cloth mixed with lilac letters!

Karena said...

Oh, I love it,and would love to have any book on Picasso.

Style Court said...

Karena -- Duncan has published several good ones.

The Peak of Chic said...

This is very interesting Courtney! It's such a striking cover- a little mysterious too. Even without the cover it's a beautiful book.

Lisa Borgnes Giramonti said...

I want it, I want it, I reaaaaallly want it! Another book to obsess about, just what I need in my life. :)

Style Court said...

I'm becoming obsessed with it too :)

Looks like someone just bought it. Maybe Lisa?

Paul Pincus said...

you're amazing, courtney!

it's beautiful ... those eyes ... his eyes ... are SO hypnotic!

Style Court said...

I don't know about that, but thanks Paul! Picasso and Duncan are amazing.

abby jenkins said...

We are going to be in Paris soon, Can't wait to check out the Picasso Museum!

Style Court said...

Abby -- have a fabulous time!