Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

2.17.2009

In the Words of The Rolling Stones...


You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes, you might find
You get what you need

I would love to have a house designed by Wallace Neff (or just something with a few Neff-worthy architectural details) but like most people right now I'm simply happy to have a roof over my head. What does seem attainable is an art-filled wall, similar to Kristen Buckingham's.

I've begun moving more pieces that I already own to one wall, and I relocated a large mirror to a spot above my sofa, reflecting the arrangement. This emphasizes the intimate gallery feel, yet keeps the room from feeling claustrophobic. And believe it or not, I really do have several abstract pieces -- they just aren't up yet.

Coleen Rider is an ace when it comes to mixing diverse periods and styles of art, from stately genre paintings to mid-century to contemporary. She's really inspired me. Directly above, and below, are samples of work from Los Angeles artist Wendy Sue Morris. Look for Morris' works on paper to appear at Coleen & Co. by the end of the week. Coleen plans to offer medium to smaller pieces (about 18 by 24 inches).

Coleen says most of the works will be priced under $1,000. I'm adding Morris to my "inspiration for the future" file, and thought you might enjoy a peek too. When I have it, I'll share information about the artist. Personally, I enjoy learning, whether or not I'm ready to buy.


BTW: When designing her house, Kristen Buckingham channeled architect Wallace Neff. As mentioned a while back, the beautiful pictures at top (images one and two) shot by Simon Upton are in the March Elle Decor.

And in the quest for art priced under $100, don't forget Angie's advice.

16 comments:

Brilliant Asylum said...

Your art wall looks great! I love your chandelier too.

Style Court said...

Oh thanks Millie!

Rachel said...

Wow!! Honestly, I love your wall art reflected in your mirror better than your inspiration picture!
That's a really really cool and great picture of your living room - I love the colors!

Mrs. Blandings said...

Love it! I always think it's a treat when we are invited in your home.

Style Court said...

Hi Rachel -- well, you're really sweet! But I have a long way to go. Thanks so much though! I appreciate it :)

Style Court said...

Happy to have you Patricia! Thanks for the encouraging words.

Morgan said...

I loved the Buckingham's wild garden along the entrance path...imagine how many beautiful arrangements could come from that!

Style Court said...

Morgan -- I agree!

There are so many ideas that could probably be interpreted on a modest scale. Great point.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing pictures of your home. I am inspired by seeing your living room constantly evolving. I like the new blue pillows, too. Would love to see more shots of your living room (as well as the other rooms!) Love it all!

Mary Margaret

Style Court said...

You're very kind Mary Margaret and notice more details then my family! I'm always afraid it's dreadfully boring, but I'll try to show other gallery walls in the next few weeks. Thanks!

So Haute said...

You're gallery wall looks great! Can't wait to watch it progress as you add more pieces. I've been thinking of doing an art-filled wall behind my sofa but can't quite decide if I should do that or just do a single large statement piece. Anyway--thanks for sharing and I really love those Wendy Sue Morris paintings so thanks for introducing me to her work!

Style Court said...

Thanks So Haute!

Looking forward to hearing about yours too :)

ALL THE BEST said...

Your wall looks amazing Courtney!!

Style Court said...

thanks so much ronda!

Katherine said...

I think your living room looks amazing! I love the balance of the art work, the inviting light and space of the mirror, and those peacock blue pillows! Looks great! It is always so inspirational to see peaks inside your home! I am sure it carries great energy!

Style Court said...

Hi Katherine -- what a lovely comment! Means a lot, thank you.