Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

1.27.2009

Angie's Sources

Charleston-based interior designer Angie Hranowsky is known for using compelling art in her projects. (Some of the most blogged rooms on the Internet.) Considering her background, it's not surprising. Angie is also an established graphic designer who studied at Parsons School of Design in New York and the Portfolio Center in Atlanta. Additionally, she earned her BA in Art History from the University of Cincinnati.

I was really curious about Angie's sources, so I asked her where she tends to browse.

"I do love scouring for interesting art. I don't set out to look for expensive gallery pieces, rather I just look for what moves me. I have purchased art from street vendors in New York, eBay, antique stores, flea markets and galleries," she says, adding, "I do buy only original art work. It does not have to be a painting, but if it is a print I look for signed lithographs or silk screens as well as woodcuts, linocuts and etchings. I am particularly drawn to mid-century art, but I think people need to buy what they love."

"I came across these wonderful silk screens from an artist in L.A., David Weidman. He used to be in the advertising and cartoon industry back in the 50s and 60s. His work is fantastic and I have purchased a few pieces for myself." Samples are shown above. Smaller serigraphs are available for around $45. www.weidmansart.com.

Southern artist Molly B. Right has caught Angie's eye too.
And Angie is also partial to the incredible linocuts of Charleston artist, Stacey Bradley. Be sure to check out her very budget-friendly work sold through Etsy. The hand-carved, printed and pulled linocut of trees in the evening, shown above, is $15.

Stacey was was the house artist for Tower Records in New Orleans from 1989 to 1992, and while there she created three-dimensional display work for bands and music artists such as the Neville Brothers.

Angie's other haunts include:

Local antique stores and flea markets
Estate sales and yard sales
Local galleries

If using eBay, she types in the search box a field of interest such as mid-century paintings.

Images one and two above are via House Beautiful.


Worth a note: MOMA offers a great tutorial about printmaking. Click here to learn more. The work shown directly above is from the Noa Noa series of ten woodcuts executed by Gauguin after his return to Paris from Tahiti in 1893.

Oh and speaking of the music industry and art, here's a stellar gallery wall done by interior designer Kristen Buckingham (wife of Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey and a new favorite of mine). Their collection includes a Jasper Johns, but Kristen says she is drawn to all kinds of art, pedigree or not. Look for their LA house in the March Elle Decor. Photo by Simon Upton.

I'm loving this floral on Kristen's Stella chair.

10 comments:

katiedid said...

What a fantastic eye for art she has! And I love the last photo. I can hardly wait to get my new issue!

stacy said...

Angie's rooms are amazing! I always like the raspberry color she uses so much.

C.Bell Furnishing said...

Love the gallery wall-it's so lively. Kristen Buckingham;s interior is simply joyous.

pve design said...

good eye.

Laura said...

Love the Stacy Bradley stuff on etsy! And $15?!!! I could do a whole collection of them on a particularly vexing blank wall I have.

Haven and Home said...

Very interesting post. I think art can be intimidating but this makes it more accessible.

Lisa Borgnes Giramonti said...

Am loving loving LOVING that living room. Can't wait for my March copy...!

Paul Pincus said...

courtney, this is one of my all-time style court favourite posts! amazing. i also love the kristen buckingham room. wow. what a superb mix. the gallery is gorgeous...and that sofa! cheers, -p.p.

ps i'm shocked and sad about domino. i hope it'll be back at some point!

Anonymous said...

Why does Angie say she buys only original art and then in the next breath talks about buying prints, seriographs, etc. which are not originals?

Style Court said...

hi anon--
I think she means woodblock prints, linocuts, etchings etc by the artist.