Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

12.16.2008

Weekly Finds


Remember the other day when I mentioned how some of my friends and I exchange imaginary presents? We buy a gift for someone truly in need, and then wrap up a picture of a fantasy present for each other. Sort of, "this is what I'd give you if I could." Well, here is a nice candidate for a passionate collector, or aspiring collector: 1930's hand-embroidered silk panels backed in blue.

The dealer I spoke with said these once hung in the drawing room of a celebrated Atlanta interior designer and socialite. I'd love to see what Windsor Smith would do with them. Available at Interiors Market, $1600 for the pair. Call 404-352-0055 for details.

I also like Leontine Linens' throw quilt with Peacock pattern in gold satin charmeuse.

And as always, Dawn Jacobson's Chinoiserie is great related reading. Softcover secondhand editions are available at Barnes & Noble starting at $19.95.



This English late Victorian plated silver drinks tray on claw feet with stick pierced gallery and gadroon border by JD and Co., circa 1890, is from Lucullus.

Another late Victorian English piece, below, a plated silver mirrored cake stand with beaded border and scroll and palmette feet, circa 1870. Also from Lucullus.

6 comments:

jds223 said...

Those panels are incredible. I collect textiles and I'm so coveting those...wow! Now, I'm not happy.

Real Card Studio said...

The panels are amazing. And I love the "if I could I would" gift-giving! But I can and will pick up the Chinoiserie book!

Karena said...

They are breathtaking panels! A fun game between friends. What if........

ALL THE BEST said...

Oh those panels are soooooo pretty Courtney!!!

Janet said...

Those panels are yummy! Lucky is the friend who receives that wonderful gift. he he!

Mélanie said...

those panels are gorgeous ! I coud die to get them