Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

12.23.2008

The Ultimate Gift Box

What a rush it would be to find this box under the tree Thursday morning. To see some truly exquisite containers, visit Roger Keverne. An interesting article about Asian boxes was recently published in Art & Antiques magazine. (Click here to read it.)

The example above is a fine, large carved red lacquer box and cover from the Qianlong period. The form is circular and the top is deeply carved with a circular medallion of three five-clawed, two-horned, scaly dragons in pursuit of a flaming pearl amid cloud scrolls that partly conceal their bodies, all enclosed by a raised geometric border and a band of lotus lappet.

Image and description courtesy Roger Keverne.

15 comments:

Pigtown-Design said...

LOVE it!

Style Court said...

Meg -- these are my new obsession :)

Ivy Lane said...

Beautiful!

An Aesthete's Lament said...

I saw this a few months (?) back at Keverne's site and was absolutely startled. It is amazingly beautiful.

Style Court said...

Startling beautiful is the perfect description.

Emily Evans Eerdmans said...

Diana Vreeland said every room needed a splash of red - I think this will do nicely! EEE

Style Court said...

Emily -- one of my all-time favorite quotes!

Suzi said...

I have something very similar and often wondered of its history. Mine is off-white in color and I purchased it at an Antiques store. It looked so beautiful I couldn't resist!!!

Style Court said...

Suzy -- yours sounds so pretty.

Karena said...

Gorgeous ! I agree with the splash of red....it just draws your eye to something unique and special like this Asian Box.

Ms. Wis./Each Little World said...

Thank you for introducing me to Roger. I took a much needed break from my print deadline to look at his objects. Though I am usually a red girl, I would be only too happy to take home the green jade brush pot.

As for red, I treated myself to a stack of C&B red "lacquer" boxes for my red sitting room. Nothing like shiny red against matte red to make my heart sing.

Something new, something stylish as always. Thanks, again.

exceptionallyinviting said...

Lovely.

Style Court said...

Ms. Wis -- My pleasure, Happy Holidays!!

pve design said...

Years ago, I traveled to China and would always bring back something with a bit of history and culture and one year I bought a traveling chopstick set with a jade handle knife. I still love it so. That box is exquisite.
Good tidings of style and joy to you.

Lily said...

I adore your blog, but not Chinoiserie (it's a personal failing, I know!). I would love to see more posts that are not Chinoiserie or Asian elephants, etc. But it is your blog and you are 100% entitled to write about whatever strikes your fancy, so I'm okay with checking in every once in a while until the current obsession fades. Merry Christmas!