Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

12.17.2008

New on the Scene

Watch out: Emily Evans Eeerdmans, art historian and author of Regency Redux, has launched a blog. Look for a surprising dash of lowbrow camp mixed in with her scholarly insights. In her first post she discusses Ashley Hicks stools as part of a Regency Redux backstory.


And a note about the fabulous pagodas behind Emily's head. She lives in the garden flat of an 1850s townhouse in Brooklyn Heights and reports that the landlord has restored it beautifully, but because of this is very, very particular about what can be done to the walls. "So because wallpaper was out of the question, I had the walls stenciled all over with the Willow pattern from the Stencil Library. I was going to do this myself - hahaha - but soon realized I was out of my league and hired a brilliant scenic painter (who incidentally did all the backdrops for P. Diddy's reality show) to do it for me. She used two colors of burgundy which gives it a nice depth."

Many chinoiserie styles are available at Stencil Library.

12 comments:

Visual Vamp said...

I heart Emily!
And I always wanted to do a stencil project like this!
xo xo

Emily Amy Gallery said...

I love the idea of stenciling a small room. How beautiful!

Anna Spiro said...

Gosh I love stencil library and wow another blog to add to the ever expanding list of daily must reads! Hope you are well!
x
Anna

Karena said...

What a great idea, something I used to do. I had totally forgotten about stenciling. Can fill small spaces and create interest in nooks etc.

Style Court said...

Hi everyone -- thanks for stopping by. Isn't the red-and-white wall great?

You'll love Emily!

Stacy McCallum said...

How fun! A new place to spend time and stencils!! Its like an early Christmas. Thanks Courtney!

Style Court said...

Stacy, and everyone, the stencils offered there are sophisticated too. As you can see :)

victoria thorne said...

really gorgeous stuff here. the stencil is incredible; book looks like a necessity. new blog sound wonderful. a veritable christmas smorgasbord.

Style Court said...

Victoria -- that's a good way to put it. Emily already has such interesting content on her blog, and the book is definitely a must have.

Lynne Rutter said...

excellent! the book is great and so is the new blog. thanks for directing me to it, and congratulations, emily!
as a decorative painter, i am constantly fighting the impression that stencils are all duckies and hearts. as you can see, they can be used for quite elaborate and glamorous results!

Style Court said...

Lynne -- glad to get your perspective on stencils. I think hoards of new readers are going to get hooked on Emily's site.

nelsonbridge said...

New readers like myself.
Love the site.