Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

12.18.2008

Christmas at Swan House

In 2005, Dan Carithers decked the halls at Swan House. The fresh, understated trimmings were photographed for the following year's holiday issue of Southern Accents, and I think Pieter Estersohn beautifully highlighted the work of architect Philip Trammell Shutze and his craftsmen.

Above is the morning room where Carithers selected a swag of greenery to outline the pagoda-shaped pediment over the fireplace mantel.

Early 20th-century decorator Ruby Ross Wood collaborated with Shutze on the house. Her hand is especially evident in the dining room, noted in part for its chinoiserie wallpaper.

Intricate wood carvings, including an overmantel crafted in the 17th century, distinguish the library.

And I love the subtle decorations Dan used in the butler's pantry.

Swan House is open for tours Monday - Saturday: 11 a.m. - 4 p.m., and Sunday: 1 p.m. - 4 p.m. It is closed Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year's Day. House tours are included with general admission.

If you are in the mood to think about family holiday rituals at home, rather than architecture, click here.

Last image courtesy Mary Laura

13 comments:

Stacy McCallum said...

Amazing Butler's Pantry!! The last picture is what its all about!

Thanks for posting.

Style Court said...

I agree Stacy, I agree!

Teacats said...

Dan Carrithers is a brillant designer -- and so sensitive to the subject -- just like a wonderful artist! Still hoping that someone out there will persuade him to publish a decor book!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

Style Court said...

Hi Jan -- I think he is so good especially with holiday decor. Elegant yet warm and inviting.

Anonymous said...

Ruby Ross Wood actually decorated the whole house.

Style Court said...

Hi Anon -- in my earlier post about Wood, I talk about that. (Follow the Swan House link in the first part above.) She is credited with the house and ome scholars seem to disagree about how much was Wood and how much was Shutz. I've read that her influence is especially felt in the dining room.

Style Court said...

And anon -- thanks for prompting me to clarify my sentence!

Anonymous said...

Dan's work seemed derivative. Maybe it was the photography not portraying what he's known for.

Style Court said...

Well, I suppose holiday decorations are always subjective! I really liked what he did that year. But everyone always has a different perspective.

Mrs. Blandings said...

If I knew one person felt like that coming into my home I'd be happy forever. Many thanks to Mary Laura.

jds223 said...

Adore chinoiserie anything!

Things That Inspire said...

I had forgotten about this article, thanks for posting it! Hope you had a wonderful day.

Style Court said...

Happy holidays Sarah! Glad you enjoyed it.