Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

11.24.2008

Ribbon Tassels and Other Ideas

This week while she is on a school break, my sixth grader niece will hopefully be helping me make more of these ribbon tassels.

They are fun to use on presents or on Christmas trees and the style fits well with the English Regency and chinoiserie themes I'm pulling for decorations this year. It sounds very decorator-ey, I know, but the end result should be really personal. Sort of an homage to my grandparents. (Yesterday when my sister saw all my supplies and ornaments spread out, she thought some of the pieces were in fact my grandparent's, so that's a good sign.)

If multi-step gift wrap is not your thing, emulate Marin Preske, photo editor at domino. Marin told me that she likes to avoid wrapping paper and all of that cutting and taping. She heads to Chinatown to stock up on all sorts of cheap boxes and containers – different colors and sizes for her varied gifts. She makes tags and hangs them off the packages with twine or colored string.

Stay tuned all week for more inspiration from other tastemakers.

Boxes are from Pearl River.

15 comments:

Mrs. Blandings said...

I'm hooked on this series (as I was last year.) Your packages are a delight. What fun to have someone around to help!

Style Court said...

Thanks Patricia. My hair stylists' nephew is 9 and a budding Eddie Ross or Eric Pike. If Project Runway or Top Design is still around in 15 years, I expect to see him there. But yeah, in general, boys loose interest in these projects after about age 5 :(

kelleyp said...

i have to share the cutest gift wrapping my hubbie (then boyfriend) did one year for my gifts. he went around town and took pictures of all the places we frequented then placed them all in a montage format and copied them onto large pieces (11x14) of white paper--voila gift wrap. such a personal touch and so fun checking out the wrap. even better than the present as i cannot remember that at all!

Style Court said...

Kelley -- that one wins first place!

That's a creative man. Wow! So glad you shared.

Stacy said...

I'm nuts over these tassels! Thanks for the how to link, my daughter and I may have an afternoon project on our hand!!!

Style Court said...

HI Stacy -- there's also a version on Martha's site with yarn. Might be easier for younger kids. Hope you enjoy it!

Pigtown-Design said...

In the time before coloured carryout boxes, I would unfold them and then trace out the pattern onto wrapping paper and then cover the boxes. It looked great!

Style Court said...

Meg -- great idea!

pve design said...

Oh, it is all about the presentation!
Those tassels look so lovely! I would want to wear one as a necklace!

Style Court said...

Patricia -- you are so creative and talented with your hands, so it makes me happy that you like these too :)

Karena said...

Cute, cute tassels. The Chinese take out boxes are very fun also. It is good to go with a theme. Especially if you have a big family, it is so much easier to hand out the gifts!

Style Court said...

Thanks Karena! So far we are having fun.

halcyon said...

Thanks for posting that picture of Hug Snug. My Mom was a dressmaker and sample designer and when there were 234 of those rolls in her huge sewing room when she passed away. We sold all that and I am now kicking myself.... It was nice to see that label again. Makes me smile. Great post too. I've used the take out boxes before.

Style Court said...

Fascinating Halcyon. I found it at Sew-Biz :)

I can just visualize what all those rolls of color might have looked like in your mom's studio.

Mélanie said...

I love the idea of theses ribbons tassels ! I may use the idea ..is there a copyright ? ( I'm kidding )