Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

11.27.2008

Let the Giving Begin

I hope everyone enjoyed a satisfying, relatively stress-free Thanksgiving! The tastemakers' gift wrapping suggestions will continue in a few days. But in the meantime, since tomorrow is Black Friday, I want to share some very reasonably priced hand-blocked Indian table linens and kitchen accessories from Elizabeth James. ( Coleen Rider introduced me to her work.)



Her oven mitts are $12 each and I'm nabbing a few to give this year.

I think a set of these is a lovely gift as is, although you could always pair them with a cookbook or Elizabeth's kitchen towels.

Her red-and-white paisley linens would bring worldly flair to the Christmas table. And when I think of inspired settings, I think of Nate Turner. You can learn entertaining tips from him in Set with Style (he's just one of many designers included but his own table made the cover).

Also, don't miss Nate's gloriously eclectic apartment in the December domino.


Whenever I'm looking for more books about Indian textiles, I scan the offerings at the Calico Museum. They have distinctive notecards and cloth reproductions too.



Recently, The Textile Museum in Washington D.C. selected a woven 18th-century Kashmir shawl as its textile of the month (below). It features a style of Indian flower often recorded during the 17th century by the Mughal ruler Jahangir's artist. In his fall catalog, John Robshaw has some similar contemporary versions.

If you want to try your own hand with woodblocks, Elizabeth James sells them. Apart from being useful, one intricate block might look striking propped on a shelf.


All of the linens shown here are from Elizabeth's company, Pacific & Rose. The Christmas card was illustrated for me by Anne Harwell using Peter Dunham's Kashmir Paisley as inspiration. Boxed holiday cards are available on Anne's site.

The small elephant is from High Street Market and the turquoise vase is from Jayson Home.

Credit for shawl:
Cotton, silk; twill weave, supplementary-weft patterning
244 cm x 47.50 cm
The Textile Museum OC6.130
Acquired by George Hewitt Myers in 1947

14 comments:

pve design said...

My heart just grew two sizes bigger, thanks to your post. Lovely items and all worth giving! ( or getting!)

Pigtown-Design said...

Hope you had a wonderful day! Can't wait to see your next posts about presents.

GrannySmithGreen said...

Another great post. I find the Indian textiles quite interesting. I spent some time in the south of France and as I'm sure you well know--the "French" linens are really Indian in origin. I grew to love the intricacies of the many patterns. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Style Court said...

patricia ve -- your comment made me feel all warm inside.

meg -- hope your day was wonderful too.

granny smith -- yes! les indiennes. I love those French textiles inspired by Indian designs.

Karena said...

I love these. Courtney I will be adding to my Holiday list! The Indian inspired textiles can work with so many design styles beautifully. I hope your Thanksgiving was peaceful and relaxing.

Style Court said...

Karena -- glad you like them!

Mrs. Blandings said...

Love the Christmas cards! Is the chair making that transition? Thanks for the link for the hand blocked linens.

Style Court said...

Patricia -- I definitely am anxious to do something with Dunham fabric, but that chair and my third room is totally up in the air right now. Thanks for asking though :)

Ivy Lane said...

Thanks for the tip on the fabulous Indian printed kitchen accessories! I love all the prints! Nate's book looks to be interesting as well, would be a nice house warming gift too..

And....Anne's Christmas Card design..LOVE IT! :)

•ciaotay• said...

gorgeous fabrics!!!!!! I love the textile museum! ciao, ciao~

Ashley@decorology said...

Can't ever get enough of Block Printing!

annechovie said...

Love your envelopes, Courtney! Thanks for the mention - great photo styling, as usual! Have a great week.

Style Court said...

Everyone -- thanks for taking time to comment during this hectic week. I appreciate it!

Lauren said...

LOVE the potholders!!! thanks!