Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

11.25.2008

Charleston Receipts

Recently I was asked in an interview to recommend a cookbook. Trying to suggest a title that hasn't already been mentioned this season in 25 magazines, I said Charleston Receipts. This affordable edition was first published in 1950 and is often called the Bible of all Junior League cookbooks. Widely celebrated for preserving Gullah culture and other regional customs, in the 1990s Receipts was inducted into the McIlhenny Hall of Fame. Proceeds from sales benefit non-profit programs in South Carolina.

The book is a perfect gift on its own, but it would be even more special paired with an antique spoon found at a flea market.

If you are signing off for the next few days, I want to wish you a healthy, happy Thanksgiving and express genuine gratitude for your continued interest in this blog. Thanks, as always, for reading! 

15 comments:

Ivy Lane said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you Courtney!

The Peak of Chic said...

Courtney- This is one of my favorite cookbooks. And "Charleston Receipts Repeats" is great too! Have a Happy Thanksgiving. :)

An Aesthete's Lament said...

Another great Southern cookery book is The Screened Door Pantry by Harriett Courtney Lemke and Fran Weaver ... I highly recommend it ...

beachbungalow8 said...

courtney, have a wonderful thanksgiving!

~m

stacy said...

What a fabulous idea you hit the nail on the head for my mom.

Thanks!!

Pigtown-Design said...

Excellent suggestion! And lovely idea with the spoons.

Happy T-day!

Janet said...

Some of my favorite cookbooks are the regional or junior league compilations. What a great suggestion. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving...I hope you get to eat off of that gorgeous silverware!

Mrs. Blandings said...

Courtney - my sister in law is in Charleston and adores this cook book. I love the spoon idea.

Style Court said...

Hi everyone -- I appreciate these personal well wishes! So happy the cookbook suggestion might be helpful for some.

designing spaces said...

My mother has this cookbook and it is practically falling apart. Every Christmas she makes the plum pudding with brandy hard sauce. I can't imagine a Christmas without this flaming dessert as the crowning moment of our dinner. (only thirty more days...yum!)

kelleyp said...

have a wonderful thanksgiving!

Style Court said...

Aesthete -- thanks for the tip!

Paul Pincus said...

have a fantastic thanksgiving, courtney!

ps i was on the rizzoli site last evening and noticed you had high praise for kelly klein's horse! so i put an order through straightaway ; ) it was so great to see stylecourt.com next to publisher's weekly and vogue uk!!!

Style Court said...

And you have a fab holiday too Paul! I think you will really appreciate Horse!

•ciaotay• said...

great cookbook from the town where I live!!!! great gift for anyone!