Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

10.19.2008

Hidden Meaning

[Photography by David Loftus from Island Life.]

I think I once read that, during Hollywood's golden era, film directors asked costume designers to create luxe underclothes for their leading ladies. Even though the garments would never be seen, the idea was that the actresses would know, feel more refined or elevated, and this would somehow come across on screen.

Likewise, Emily, owner/director of Atlanta's Emily Amy Gallery, keeps on her bedside table a special stone tucked away in a beautiful wooden box. Her godfather brought back the stone from his climb to the top of Mount Kilimanjaro. Emily says, "No one else knows it is even inside the box. It inspires me and keeps me persevering. Just a little decorative object with a great story."

I think this is a magical idea we can all copy -- whether with an object that is too fragile to display or just something we want to keep private.

The images here show meaningful things that India Hicks keeps nearby -- and on view -- in her island bedroom. It's an incredibly classic, understated room and the personal tablescapes add unique interest. Nothing is there for show or prestige, but she knows the deeper significance of the collected objects.

[All photography by David Loftus from Island Life.]

32 comments:

Mrs. Blandings said...

I dreamt that I met India Hicks last night! Stymied, of course, I said nothing clever. A beautiful room and a great post. Also, I love nearly anything encased in lucite.

Style Court said...

Patricia -- what a coincidence!

I can't imagine you ever at a loss for clever words. Yes, I agree, any photo or small drawing looks so elevated when encased in lucite.

Linda at Lime in the Coconut! said...

Beautiful post....BEAUTIFUL room!

Sarah's Fab Day said...

Gorgeous idea and post. Something we all should remember when decided what to display.

Style Court said...

Linda and Sarah -- thanks for stopping by. Glad you like the room.

MIMILEE said...

GORGEOUS entry today! Lovely, indeed!

Now that I think about it, I have several vignettes that hold "Hidden Meanings"......that ONLY are known to moi!

Style Court said...

Thanks Mimi. So happy to hear that you have vignettes with hidden meaning too :)

beachbungalow8 said...

great post. love those parrot prints(?), originals?

Style Court said...

Thanks Megan -- I think they are. Will have to check the book :)

Emily Amy Gallery said...

Thanks so much for mentioning me and the gallery in this most recent post. I am so thrilled! Also, I would be happy for you to use my idea...its always nice to have a little secret hidden away that only you know about!! As always, I loved reading this most recent post...beautiful.

vicki archer said...

What a lovely idea - something so secret is always so much more special.
Great post xv.

Style Court said...

Hi Vicki -- thanks!

Style Court said...

Glad you had a chance to see the post Emily :)

Topsy Turvy said...

Great post - very thoughtful.

-Lana

Style Court said...

Thanks so much Lana.

Brilliant Asylum said...

Does India Hicks not have the most enviable life ever? It is so refreshing to see someone have simultaneously classic and totally laid back style.

I love the message of this post (and the images too).

Brilliant Asylum said...

Speaking of pretty boxes--I just turned to your article in Southern Accents. You are everywhere these days!

: )

Style Court said...

Millie -- I know!

The small encased rose at top is from the bouquet she carried in Princess Diana's wedding, and I think everyone knows her famous family, but she seems so unaffected. Like you said laid back yet respectful and classic.

Style Court said...

I meant "I know!" to India's enviable life!

Style Court said...

Thanks for noticing the story :)

Karena said...

I love little boxes sittng on a shelf in a grouping. I have several that so much to me.A beautiful a post.

debi said...

I just wanted to let you know that I have truly enjoyed your book....Creole Thrift! As an 8th generation from Louisiana (Libouse & Baton Rouge)....I laughed all the way through it. Truly brought back some great memories. Take care and keep up the great work!
Debi (www.yayachique.com)

Catherine at Design Editor said...

Great post! I love framing things like letters or old postcards...I also have a heart shaped rock I found on my honeymoon on a shelf. I'm such a sucker for this stuff!

Cote de Texas said...

Waht? you are in S.A.???? Did I miss it? omg - girl - you've "made" it!!!

ok - I'm going to go find it.

Style Court said...

thanks Karena.

Debi -- I'm not Angele, but I love her book :) thanks for visiting.

Style Court said...

karena and catherine -- so glad you shared your own special things.

katiedid said...

This is a wonderful post! I am always refreshed after looking at India Hicks' home. I think of it whenever I am doing things at my home. She has such wonderful style. And I love that idea of hiding something away for yourself.

Style Court said...

Katie, I feel refreshed too. I definitely see similarities in your styles.

Blogger said...

Lovely idea. I will do something like this in my room :)

I liked your style of writing and the blog topic as a whole.

Keep up the good work.

D

Style Court said...

thanks d!

Erin Ferucci said...

style court is one of my favorite blogs!!! we seem to be thinking alike at the same time....:)
www.designs4living.blogspot.com

Style Court said...

Thanks Erin! That's so nice of you to say.