Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

9.25.2008

Mallory's Concept Board


This room will make household chores a treat rather than a drag. It's Mallory Mathison's chic take on a laundry room. We shouldn't be surprised, the Atlanta-based designer-to-watch and Domino 10 member has always been inspired by that other Southerner known for cozy glamour, Miles Redd.

If you plan to be in Atlanta in November, you will be able to see the room finished and decked out for the holidays. Mallory is currently hard at work on the laundry area, plus home office, to be unveiled as part of the 2008 Atlanta Homes & Lifestyles Christmas House. The showhouse is a grand tradition here. It benefits the Alliance Children's Theatre and has been an annual happening for 34 years.

For now, Mallory is generously sharing a sneak peek. I've tried to post these images so that you can enlarge them and read the fun notes. But I will point out a few highlights: The color scheme is composed of soft yellows and charcoal with clear red accents. A small hit of animal-print adds drama (Scalamandre's "Tigre" silk- velvet, one of their oldest and most classic fabrics). Couture details come in with luxe trim for the window shades and red-monogrammed custom-made garment bags. And don't miss the red chinoiserie chandelier.

I think for a laundry room on a more modest scale, some elements to steal and reinterpret would be a Roman shade with grosgrain trim, some sort of great red light fixture, and pretty garment bags. But of course the whole point of a showhouse is to stretch the imagination. Everyone will take away her own ideas.

Closer to the event, I'll post reminders about Atlanta Homes & Lifestyles Christmas House. Details about the other designers involved (big names) are on the magazine's site. If you want to mark your calendar the dates are Saturday, November 15 through Sunday, December 7. Location, 1620 Mt. Paran Road.

14 comments:

Mrs. Blandings said...

A total delicious fantasy making my Silence of the Lambs basement laundry that much worse. I can't wait to see it. First "Roxy," now this- I might need a subscription!

Style Court said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suzy said...

Can you tell me where the animal skin velvet is from? I've been searching high and low for something like that for a while now...

Style Court said...

Hi Suzy, I believe it is Scala silk-velvet. I'll ask Mallory to confirm.

Style Court said...

Partricia -- Editorial Director Clint Smith has a great eye, so the house should be especially strong this year. Wish you could visit :)

The Peak of Chic said...

I'm excited about this year's showhouse. It's going to be great- but how could it not be with that stellar designer roster!

Style Court said...

Suzy -- Mallory says, "That is Scalamandre's Tigre Silk Velvet, it's one of their oldest and most classic fabrics. It's definitely a luxury fabric!"

Brilliant Asylum said...

I am really looking forward to this showhouse. Thanks for a sneak peak.

Mrs Blandings--I too have nightmares about my laundry room. I will only go down there in broad daylight and my heart pounds with fear the entire time.

milly said...

I just don't see the same amount of cozy Glamour up here in the Northeast, but am very familiar with it as I am from NC. Thanks for sharing!! Great room!!

Style Court said...

Milly -- glad you like it!

Style Court said...

Jennifer and Millie -- should be quite a festive event! It will be interesting to see what the other decorators do.

Mrs. Blandings said...

Millie - I share your fear. Even though nothing frightening has ever happened to me there, I'm terrified.

Courtney - a visit is a must, but sadly, the holidays are not the best time to get away. Fingers crossed it happens soon.

Suzy said...

Thanks Courtney (and Mallory)!

Anonymous said...

Секрету.нет - Извращения, стыд и жесть, постыдные истории и жестокие Ростов-на-Дону. Бесплатные истории шокируют вас и всю страну Беларусь
[url=http://secretu.net/]рассказы для врозлых[/url]