Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

8.25.2008

It's All Windsor

Not too long ago I was in a kitchen with pink walls and a checkerboard floor. The homeowner mentioned that the room had not been touched since the 80s and I said, "Well, you know the look is back." So, as proof, I offer this image from C Magazine, April 2008. I'm sure you recognize Windsor Smith (note the tall black boots, one of our all-time good things from yesterday's post). Smith offered three different takes on a classic entry.

The first entry obviously has a more glamorous, California Regency feel with crisp graphic contrasts but the second is decidedly English Country. I was excited to see the latter because I always like Windsor's spin on this layered, effortless look. Here she's used a Hovey-esque leather sofa (another "good thing") and a mix of traditional paintings hung gallery style.

Sorry about the grainy images

9 comments:

simply seleta said...

Oh, Windsor you're just so chic. And you seem as if you'd be such a fun friend to hop around town and go shopping with!

Love the entry, Courtney. The paintings, the dutch door, too fun.

Style Court said...

She does seem like she would be so fun to shop with!

Cote de Texas said...

love that second picture!

Anonymous said...

HATE the real zebra rug. Imagine tripping over its mane...or tail! Ugh. Otherwise, great style!

Style Court said...

Todd Romano used one of the best looking alternatives I've ever seen -- it may have had an Albert Hadley connection. Needlepoint versions can be really cool. And when Ruthie Sommers' home was in In Style, I loved her faux zebra in the living room!

Anna Spiro said...

Oh, I totally LOVE the pink and white Windsor entry! So chic! Would love to see pics of that pink kitchen you were in recently!!
xx
Anna

Style Court said...

Anna -- thought of you instantly when I saw this!

annechovie said...

I am with Anna - I LOVE the pink entry - that shade esp.

Style Court said...

Anne -- it looks like your style too. Something you would paint.