Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

7.29.2008

Working In Style II


Inspired by Suzanne's interest in bringing flair to her office -- and I'm sure influenced a little by Mad Men -- I can't resist posting this image from Tiffany Table Settings. Coincidentally, this mid-century "executive's desk luncheon" was staged in a corner office at the then new Time & Life Building.

Note that each executive has his own silver coffee service. The table setting also includes crystal tumblers weighing two and one-half pounds each, cocktail glasses used to hold pencils, and of course a square silver cigarette box accompanied by a round silver ashtray. Blue-and-green plaid Thai silk napkins complement the chair upholstery.

14 comments:

simply seleta said...

Lovely spread. Blue, green and silver? Always a chic touch.

Be the change..... said...

If my office provided a breakfast like this, I'd be to work EARLY everyday!

Style Court said...

I know, those individual coffee pots are so chic and even the potato chips look great on the silver tiered stand.

Pigtown-Design said...

2.5 lbs each! Holy cow! That's a lotta weight. But I am sure they're gorgeous!!!

Mrs. Blandings said...

I bet those potato chips are homemade. Delish. Is that an Oscar on the ledge?

Style Court said...

Meg -- I re-read it three times to check myself :)

Style Court said...

Patricia -- I noticed that too! I'll go back and read but I don't think it is mentioned.

The Peak of Chic said...

That is definitely one of the more memorable images from that book. That is my idea of working in style!

BK. said...

I love stylish offices, especially since everything seems to be so bland ( re: ugly) and ergonomic now.
Aerin Lauder's office in Domino was one of the chicest rooms I've ever seen. the hydrangeas, the lacquer tray with all the fragrances. Her white pencils. That lovely desk.

And perhaps best of all. Her quote. (and I'm paraphrasing) "I always try to remember my manners and offer visitors something to drink a beautiful glass" Heaven.

Style Court said...

BK -- great memory! I loved that office and the quote. I'm so glad you brought it up. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

This is a little life lesson. Presentation is key to enjoyment. I even "present" to my grandsons:" May I offer you a crustless peanut butter and jelly sandwich and blue berries on a skewer"....from a silver tray. Always nice glasses and cloth napkins. Their manners seem to match the presentation. Work places should take note. Wonderful post, Ginny

Style Court said...

Ginny -- just lovely! Thanks for sharing this with us.

Paris Hotel Boutique said...

Now that is beautiful. My how I wish my office could look like that. I'll just keep dreaming...great post! Lynn

Easy and Elegant Life said...

Now that's what I call "working."

Those silver cigarette boxes are very useful and very pretty. There's one on my front room's teatray/bar.